Mosquito spraying?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kotomi

Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure where to ask this, but I was wondering if anyone was knowledgeable in exactly what kind of poison is used when people spray for mosquitoes and what and how it affects potential feeder insects. They sprayed for mosquitoes about 5 days ago (much to my dismay). I try and catch as many outdoor insects as I can every night (my mantids love moths and lacewings much more than they like my store bought crickets), but now I'm unsure if I'd be slowly poisoning them, or if the insects around now would be safe to feed to my mantises. About two days ago I was desperate because the pet store ran out of crickets, so I caught some moths outside and sprayed them down pretty good with water and fed them to my mantises anyway. None of my mantises appear to be suffering any ill effects from the ordeal, but I'd feel better knowing exactly how mosquito spraying works. Honestly, I swear that there are still just as many mosquitoes roaming around as there were before, and I had not noticed a decrease in any other outdoor insect populations, still I'd rather be safe then sorry. how long would you guys wait before resuming your outdoor insect buffet?

Call your city, county, etc and ask maybe. I've wondered that myself. Nothing like spraying chemicals into the air huh? I doubt the effectiveness of the practice.

It's terrible!

When my Mom was a kid she said they would drive a truck through her neighborhood that sprayed out the back.

Her and all her friends would ride their bikes behind it!!

It's terrible!

When my Mom was a kid she said they would drive a truck through her neighborhood that sprayed out the back.

Her and all her friends would ride their bikes behind it!!
They still spray it like that here.

Last year, I read that the one that they use here is even more harmful to bees than to the mosquitos. It doesn't seem to work anyway, there are usually hordes of Mosquitos.

Last year, I read that the one that they use here is even more harmful to bees than to the mosquitos. It doesn't seem to work anyway, there are usually hordes of Mosquitos.
I agree! I was told they sprayed here about a month ago. I see no difference with the amount of misquitos that continue to attack me as soon as i walk out into my yard. This spray ain't doing squat!!! :angry: All my wild mantids appear to be fine as well.

Yeah I really don't think it does anything. I view it as a "feel good" move to try and keep people happy.

I probably will wait for a good rain before I completely trust what is out there. I don't understand why they still do this.... I'd rather have some bug bites than some toxic chemicals floating around the air... and like I said, it seems like there are still just as many mosquitoes. All they are doing is breeding pesticide resistant mosquitoes in my opinion. Oh well. I've heard waxworms are some kind of moth as an adult... I think I'm just going to get some of them. Anyone else here deal with waxworms larvae or adults as feeders?

Yeah I really don't think it does anything. I view it as a "feel good" move to try and keep people happy.
My subdivision does this, and I don't remember the last time I saw a mosquito, seriously. I live right next to a mostly stagnant creek too. It might not be due to the spray though, just a personal observation.

My subdivision does this, and I don't remember the last time I saw a mosquito, seriously. I live right next to a mostly stagnant creek too. It might not be due to the spray though, just a personal observation.
They do it here and just standing in my yard I am swarmed by them. But our climates are different. We have had so much rain this summer I am not surprised.

Mosquito spraying in my area has already knocked out all of the wild mantis population. A thimble full of our mosquito spray can kill a full grown bass. Last time i found a mantis around my house was two years ago. It's been about 3-4 weeks since the spraying. Do you think it's safe to catch flying food now?

Latest posts