Mosquitoes as food

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan.M

Reaction score
Do any of you feed mosquitoes to your mantids? We have a ton here, but I'm a little worried about pesticides they may have been exposed to.

Do any of you feed mosquitoes to your mantids? We have a ton here, but I'm a little worried about pesticides they may have been exposed to.
they do drink blood, so blood pathogens would be a concern.

I feed mosquitoes to my mantids all the time. Sadly i am plagued with those introduced asian tiger mosquitoes. I cant walk through my yard without at least 3 trying to bite me. I hate them! :angry:

I've fed a few skeeters now and then to my mantises. They's good eatins'!!!

I'm assuming adult mosquitoes haven't been exposed to the pesticides, I *think* it affects them in the larval stage. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I was walking my dog today and literally got destroyed by them in the fields... So I thought to myself what better revenge then to see them get munched down by some hungry mantids ;)

Yeah, go for it! Don't worry about mammalian "blood pathogens" unless they bite you, and even then, unless your are in a malaria area, you'll get nothing worse than a bite. Mosquitoes succumb to aerosol insecticides like most insects, but you're right, if you poor something like kerosene on water where mosquito larvae thrive, it will prevent them taking in air and they will die. I could not find this simple method on Google; everyone sells something more expensive! BTW, the larvae make great food for fish fry.(not fried fish and not to be confused with the pop duo, Fish Frye). :p

Yeah, go for it! Don't worry about mammalian "blood pathogens" unless they bite you, and even then, unless your are in a malaria area, you'll get nothing worse than a bite. Mosquitoes succumb to aerosol insecticides like most insects, but you're right, if you poor something like kerosene on water where mosquito larvae thrive, it will prevent them taking in air and they will die. I could not find this simple method on Google; everyone sells something more expensive! BTW, the larvae make great food for fish fry.(not fried fish and not to be confused with the pop duo, Fish Frye). :p
That sounds great Phil, thanks. I was reading on my city's website they use some sort of "larvacide" so the larvae that do survive to become adults don't pass on the chemicals to other links in the food chain.

Now I just need the ghosts I have in the mail to get here so I can get some revenge!! :lol:

I tend to feed midges flies instead mosquitoes, but I only do so when the mantids are young. Once they are too big, I upgrade their food to larger prey items.

well I use them too and even tent worms when they are extra good and are just the right size!

I have fed many mosquitos to small nymphs. I just sit outside with a net and when they come near me or my family, they become treats. It seems to be satisfying for the nymphs, and for me. :lol: They are easy to catch with a net because their flight is predictable most of the time.

Latest posts