Moss Mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Rye

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone breeds moss mantids?

Are these rare in the mantis community?

Very rare would be understating it. They're on my wish list as well, and I know many top breeders to no avail? :(

Has anyone seen one or heard of one selling?

How much did it sell for?

Just dreaming here?

Ive seen them in the US only once sharing a vivarium with some high end dart frogs. They are absolutely worth being on everyones list but tsome people need to consider whats important when it comes to species like this. They show up and anyone has a fit buys in without being knowledgable and experienced enough to manage them and they disapear again. It happens to a few different species now and then and you can always tell the people that cause this, they buy a species then post thread after thread question after question on how to house, feed and breed them. Simply just bad for the hobby.

Has anyone seen one or heard of one selling?

How much did it sell for?

Just dreaming here
I have never seen any offered for sale. It would seem those who have had them knew someone with access and imported them. In the case I'm aware of, they only had one or two and were unable to raise them to adult or breed them. But that person was not really someone who should have had them to begin with. They thought they could turn a quick buck and failed.

I bet they need like 80 to 90% humidity and lots of moss to maintain said humidity. possibly a live moss tank is necessary?

I bet they need like 80 to 90% humidity and lots of moss to maintain said humidity. possibly a live moss tank is necessary?
A lot of South American species need high ventilation and high humidity, requiring species equipment. Maybe this is one of those?

The ones I saw were thriving in a group viv, fully planted dart frog vivarium. 80%+ humidity daily misting and stead upper 70's low 80's at most for temps maintained with internal air circulation. Low level full spectrum lighting due to the canopy effect of the plant life inside the viv. They did not have the option of a textured lid to grip to but they seemed to thrive in the hanging from the vines and wood work in the viv, There are more coming in soon but its unlikely they end up for sale anywhere..

Last edited by a moderator:
DANG IT. I want some so bad. I have tropical reptile experience up the butt, I'm pretty confident I could care for these guys. I have all the equipment =(. heck they could live with my red eye tree frogs. Thats exactly how I keep them .

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts