Most babies hatched from 1 ootheca?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love2read

Reaction score
I just had a Chinese ooth hatch out 341 babies!!! O.O

So, what's your biggest hatch ever? :)

Please give us an update from time to time. It is interesting to know the natural mortality rate with proper rearing conditions with such a large hatch. Good luck That will take a lot of mels.

I'm feeding them hydei, which they seem to be able to take down with no problems and since they're bigger I don't have to feed them as many(phew!). Sadly, my hydei cultures I got came with grain mites and are now fully loaded with them. :/ I was going to chuck them last week, but decided to wait until my new cultures arrive(any day now!). Good thing I waited! Better to have mite-infested flies then nothing at all. >< Thankfully, the mites only feed off the media and won't hurt the mantids at all.

Yes, I counted EVERY...SINGLE...ONE! ><

I transferred them all into little sauce cups and had to cram 5 per container(1 has 6) because there were so darn many. *facepalm* I would have spread them out further, but I have an orchid ooth ready to hatch soon and didn't want to risk not having any containers left(can't get to the store til tomorrow to buy more cups).

DSC_0449.JPG

Do you have any idea how hard it is to try and dump not-too-many-but-not-too-few fruit flies into tiny little containers with 5 baby mantids that are all trying to escape while you pour the flies in? *eye twitch* e.e There has GOT to be a better way, lol.

Oh yeah, the updated for today is: not a SINGLE fatality! o_O
You will lose most. I am baffled why anyone would separate them like that. In the case of such a common species I hatch them out into a large enclosure and just leave them all in there. Those cups look pretty small for even five. This technique makes feeding much easier since you're already realizing your mistake I think.

Yep... I can't imagine trying to get ff in those containers :) My T sinensis did okay in a group setting in a xl container. I separated them about L4....but my hatch was only 90 and I timed it for releasing most outside :) Good luck with your babies.

I tried leaving babies in a large container once and ended up losing every last one of them. 75% were gone in a matter of days. I think they weren't getting enough food because some babies would eat the flies and the others wouldn't get any.

The mortality rate is significantly lower with the cups. I've got another ooth that hatched about 2 weeks ago and I've only lost about 20% of them when using the cups. It's alot of work, yes, but I'm a stay-at-home wife at the moment, so I've got nothing better to do than take care of all my critters. :p

Has anyone else have problems with baby mantids being scared of FF?...The previous babies I've had took them down with no problems but these guys seem to think that the FF are out to get them. Most run away from them. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a lot of work, but I have actually noticed a lower mortality rate when separating the babies (if I can keep up with all of the feeding that is). I can't believe you counted all 341 though. Wow! LOL :lol:

Wow.. how big was the ooth o_O?

I sure hope mine don't each hatch that many... I bought a bundle of 5 of them off amazon lol!

Latest posts