Moth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have several requests regarding feeding moth to mantis, so here sharing the way i prepare the food (moth). I don't use moth as staple food but just to add the variety.

Actually Chuck did most of the work by rearing the waxworm to cocoon (sp?) and have everything in one large sheet (you can buy them from www.spiderpharm.com) full of cocoon, then i cut it down to several smaller pieces and drop the smaller sheets into each mantis cage, wait for it to pupate. Sometimes, waxworm may escape from the cocoon .... ekkkkkk. Yep that's it, simple eh :lol:

waxcocoon2.jpg

waxcocoon1.jpg

waxcocoon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty cool...I had no idea spiderpharm sold waxworm pupa! Can you post or send me a link to the page to order them? I wouldn't mind adding some on to my next housefly order. :)

@ Andrew: don't think he has the moth cacoon posted up on the webpage. Actually his wife Anita is the one that breed moth, not Chuck. You can call him or talk to his wife for the moth cacoon order. The telephone number is on his spiderpharm webpage. I have ordered them 3-4 times before, very good hatching rate. But try not to let them escape as the moth can fly very well :)

@Nola: Not sure but i think it is cardboard. The sheet is rolled up and placed in the mesh screen bag when i received them.

Most hatched out within a week. Don't think that's a good idea now in winter, are you sure there is none in UK?
i havent looked..and thinking about it now i might be mroe hastle tha its worth..flys are bad enough..lol

Can't i do it half assed? buy a box of waxworms from the local shop and leave them to do their 'buisness'.

Yes it is the same thing. Live waxworm is more sensative to temperature than the cacoon. high casualty rate is expected if they grubs are kept higher than 85F. Keep them around 70-75F, and let them turn into pupa in saw dust, and you can feed them to your mantis once it has pupated into moth.

Oh unhappy me! I bought one waxmoth colony with parasitic wasps in it! Now all I have is zounds of those those little tricksters and only from time to time a waxmoth emegres from the pupa...

Anyone dealth with the same problem?

:angry: no not me, I haven't even got to try them yet.

Yen, I called and he said she was not ready to sell them yet.

Joanna bought giant waxmoths - if you could only see the size of the larva itself! I was an adult - three time of the size of a large house fly - this could be just the thing for large mantids like some empusidae.

Yes Becky, the hatching rate from waxworm in the shop is unpredictable. Mainly because they have been in the fridge for a long time so most of the waxworm use up the reserve fat in the cold and don't do well turning into pupa. and the smells is horrible too when they die. THe worms from Chuck are huge! Got to ask Chuck to mass produce these nice "treats" for mantis. :rolleyes:

Becky, thought i would let you know there are more waxworm cacoon now from Chuck, he sent me just the cacoon (with some waxworm) this time, easier to handle IMO.

waxcocoon3.jpg

One moth appear to pupate sooner than other, so i am not wasting it :)

af3.jpg

Early bird gets the worm, and the early moth gets to be eaten!!

Can these be shipped to the Netherlands? I'm quite interested in moths.. Don't know if the waxworms I have will survive or turn into moths soon..

Latest posts