Moths mating inside enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunkwulf

Reaction score
My L4 ghost has lost interest in the hydei she's grown up with. I currently have a problem in my house with pantry moths, so I decided to see if she would like them. Lo and behold, she absolutely loves them, as well as house flies. 

I've been keeping 2 or 3 moths at a time inside her enclosure (it's a fairly good sized bio-active setup). Tonight when I took a peek, I found 2 of the moths on a plant, joined at the abdomens and mating.

Could this cause any issue? Should I remove the moths immediately, or could it potentially be actually beneficial to have moths hatching inside the enclosure? I have no clue of their gestation time or how many larvae hatch.

If there's a bunch of moths in the enclosure while the mantis is molting, the mantis could be knocked down and become crippled or worse. I don't think having constant moths hatching is a good idea, but if its too late, it's probably not a big deal, as long as they're small. If there's like 1,000 eggs though, it will stress out the mantis, and overfeeding could also become an issue. I recommend removing them.

Your house will be over run with them soon. They will eat your clothes and carpet. Remove all u can from your house. You will c them as they turn into callipillar  and get bigger. The ones in the container won't hurt the mantis. 

Wouldn't the mantis most likely catch the moths before they even lay their eggs? I had this happen with grasshoppers; Allie ate them both in the same day they mated.

Who knows if they even lay eggs on something they don’t perceive as food for their offspring.  It’s not like it’s the pantry.

A moth just laid some eggs on the plastic floor of my mantis Leaf's cage. I don't give them much credit for brains; there's nothing in the cage they could possibly construe as food.

Latest posts