Murder by Sparrow

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
I've used a beautiful butterfly bush on my deck as a natural "hangout" for a number of my T. sinensis this summer.  To my disappointment I've lost several (one had stayed on the bush 3 weeks). 

My last girl, a very gravid pet named Photon, disappeared after enjoying the bush for just one day.  Although these mantids might have climbed off the shrub - strong evidence points toward one or more evil finches may have plucked the poor mantids for a meal.

Has anyone run across a "murdering bird" situation?  I should have sat on the deck with a 12 gauge while my mantids were sunning.  :2guns:

murderous-bird.jpg

Haha, well can you really blame the birds? Easy catch. And that's not a sparrow, it's a house wren. Those things eat bigger things like grubs, grasshoppers, etc. despite their small size. Which is why they go for your mantids. I don't let mine "sun" but if it was me I'd put them in a mesh tent sorta setup. They are safe from predators, yet still can feel that sun.

Latest posts