Murderous Ants killed nymph iris oratorias! Help!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hatching can be very inconsistent sometimes. Just keep a close eye on it and make sure it doesn't dry out in the sun.

Most ants prefer working in the shade when days are hot. They may not even leave the nest if it gets really hot. In those occasions, they will venture at dawn or dusk. Only specialized ants that evolved in hot dry climates will be able to forage properly in high temperatures.

That said I'm actually really surprised that Argentines managed to get where you live.

We had a few tropical grade storms last year that brought in all kinds of new bugs! I mean that it was uncharacteristically humid here. We'll see if the ants make it though the summer!

Uh oh...ants can easily hitchhike in/on plants that I move in and out according to the seasons. And they are crawl inside under the cracks in the windowsils, doors, etc., I really hope they won't find (or bother) my mantids, because that would be bad. And would make me very, very angry. :censored:

Uh oh...ants can easily hitchhike in/on plants that I move in and out according to the seasons. And they are crawl inside under the cracks in the windowsils, doors, etc., I really hope they won't find (or bother) my mantids, because that would be bad. And would make me very, very angry. :censored:
Better to be safe than sorry. The best method I use to scare off unwanted ants is dipping the table feet or enclosures in bowls or trays of salt water. Just water won't be enough. I had a few occasions where the ants decided to play Jesus and walked on the water.

When the ants managed to destroy entire rooms of bugs I kept, back in the day, I had such a feeling of powerlessness as I stood there watching bits and pieces of my bugs being taken away.

You don't want that feeling. If you have a history of ants invading your home, you must be one step ahead of them.