Music and Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPitseleh

Reaction score
I keep my mantids in my room with me and my room is my place to listen to tons of music and I like it loud most of the time. I never actually have my computer on and not playing music just love my music so much. :wub: So I was wondering how noises Effect mantids, I know their vision is what they use most but I don't know if noises really bother them and cause any stress. Figured I'd ask you guys and see what you thought.

I keep my mantids in my room with me and my room is my place to listen to tons of music and I like it loud most of the time. I never actually have my computer on and not playing music just love my music so much. :wub: So I was wondering how noises Effect mantids, I know their vision is what they use most but I don't know if noises really bother them and cause any stress. Figured I'd ask you guys and see what you thought.
Can't speak for other species but M. Religiosas could care less and their housings sit right next to my speakers.

I don't know either, though a lot of studies going on in the universities on what they see and hear, I am careful the thump of the bass does not make their containers jump....too much :tt2:

It won't bother them.
Ya I'm starting to think that now cause crickets atleast seem to have no reaction whatsoever when it comes to sound. I stuck one in with my chinese male and the past few mornings he just wouldn't shut up at like 6:15 am and I'm a light sleeper who doesn't like to be woken up. :angry: So I tried yelling and claping my hands really hard but he wouldn't even hesitate and it just woke myself up all the way, so then I tried bumping the dresser their on with my foot and sometimes going over there hoping he was out in the open where I could snatch him up and both of these got him to knock it off. I guess vibration and visual things are what they react to sort of like Hibiscusmile said. :)

P.S. I Ended up grabbing that little freak with a pair of sizzors instead of tweezers and flushed his ugly butt down the toilet. :lol: :devil2: :lol:

Filthy crickets... Anyway, I swear my mantids hear, no, they LISTEN to music I play, and BOY do they have soul! They start that swaying thing (you know, that motion usually used to mimic a leaf blowing in the wind?), and I have seen this multiple times. NOT KIDDING!! I'm a pianist and usually have one of my bugs perched right on the piano. The sharpest of the bunch will even ###### their head at me if I hit a sour note. OK, maybe not, but I love taking my favorite bugs to rehearsals with me, and they are riveted, I tell ya, RIVETED!!

(Oh, for the love of God, the word "c o c k e d" got bleeped out!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about music, but I could swear I saw them rolling their eyes at those ANNOYING CRICKETS!!!

(I kid, I actually like cricket chirps - as opposed to car alarms....)

You know, I, too, like the sound of the cricket chirps at night (although some people breed non-chirpers. Genetically modified crickets, anyone??). Reminds me of nature's chorus on a mid-summer's eve. But when it gets down to smelling them, handling them, looking at the filthy way they choose to live (I feel like I am always cleaning their cages!), the way they stampede and crowd each other for a mere crumb (even though there is PLENTY of food to go around), and I outfit their dwelling with plenty of fun egg cartons, paper rolls, fall leaves, fresh fruit buffet, salad bar, "cricket food" and drink....but alas, they are hopelessly ungrateful, I tell you. Sometimes I have a mind to just leave them to wallow in their squalor, but then I remember that they are the food for my precious mantids.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Enjoy cricket chirping as background noise when I'm camping or whatever but one full grown one inside a room 7 feet from me while I want that 5 more minutes is to much for me. So Green Bean you play the piano huh? I play guitar and was interested in learning to play the piano as well, is it difficult? What kind of piano music do you play?

I Enjoy cricket chirping as background noise when I'm camping or whatever but one full grown one inside a room 7 feet from me while I want that 5 more minutes is to much for me. So Green Bean you play the piano huh? I play guitar and was interested in learning to play the piano as well, is it difficult? What kind of piano music do you play?
Classical background, but I also have done quite a lot of Argentine tango, show work (Broadway), classic/modern folk, world-folk, pretty much whatever except not real great on jazz improv, though I do dabble in it. Play flute also. Have done quite a bit of flute/guitar stuff. How about you?

Classical background, but I also have done quite a lot of Argentine tango, show work (Broadway), classic/modern folk, world-folk, pretty much whatever except not real great on jazz improv, though I do dabble in it. Play flute also. Have done quite a bit of flute/guitar stuff. How about you?
Just play the guitar and I like alternative, punk, and folk rock. I'm not real great but thats mostly cause I get in the mood to do something and then do it a whole lot then get out of the mood and don't mess with it for decent amount of time. Is the piano very difficult to learn?

I'm sorry, but what is this thread about, again?
rolleyes.gif
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Latest posts