My babies were just born

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopface

Reaction score
What do I do now have been calling all local pet stores look'n for fruit flies so I can get them food now. They hatched yestrday and I am afraid they need to eat. Mom has passed already sadly. Was only housing mom cuz she found and I didn't want her to die, so basically I have know idea what I'm do'n. They are about 20-30 housing them in 3 different masor jars for now.

HIt this area figuring it sees the most traffic so if this needs to be moved please do.

Thanks to all in advance.

P.S. these are the cutest little killers I have ever seen.

where do u live? petco sells fruitflies in Connecticut, not sure about where u live

they probably wont start eating until tomorrow, if it is warm enough in your area u can set out a light at night and catch mosquitoes and small flies

u can also buy them online and use express shipping, though it may be very expensive

Buy a Drosophila melanogaster fruit fly culture and hope the nymphs don't get too cannibalistic before they arrive. The sooner you order the better.

joshsfrogs.com

mantispets.com

mantisplace.com

In the mean time if it's warm in your area put some banana in the bottom of each jar and cover with a mesh that will keep the nymphs in but allow fruit flies to enter.

Ok finally found some "flightless fruit flies" from PetCo had to make a 45 min drive to go get them but no too worried. My babies had their first meal and they are look'n happy.

I have also been handling them one at a time just let'm jump on to my fingers and wonder, question from this ( and its a stretch I believe) is am I putting them at risk for disease or anything? I have never kept insects as pets , but these guys are just so amazing I can't stop watching/holding.

Oh and have to keep them at work cuz the wife HATES them.

Yikes. Yeah, they should be perfectly fine. Have a look around the forum to gain info. Do you know what species this is? We'll find you a caresheet.

289p8p.jpg

This is what mom looked like (not her though) So chinese mantis?

Here is a couple baby pics

af7a6a.jpg

3502sjp.jpg

Yep, it looks like a Chinese mantis to me. :)

With this species, many of the young can die in the early instars, but you should be able to get a few to make it to adults.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts