My black morph Eastern Lubbers

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
I finally got my Eastern Lubber grasshoppers moved from their temporary habitat into their new home. They are a black morph version that was a gift from Denise (Dmina). They are quite interesting and have yellow and red stripes on them, which seems to vary a bit from each other.

I was curious if anyone else keeps them? Or knows much about them, besides they are often a pest in the southern US states, and can get 3" in size once adults?

Here are some photos of them running around their home. The white flakes on them is from dry feed I offered them besides veggies the other day. I'll have to take some new photos once they get it off themselves. ;)

lubber1.jpg

lubber2.jpg

lubber3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They are black as juveniles and turn that bright yellow as adults...although there are some rarer individuals that can be dark colored as adults. It appears yours are normal for now, we can only tell at adult :)

Also, they'll eat just about anything...they are rather omnivorous and have seen them eat pre-killed crickets and roaches to your usual buffet of veggies.... pretty easy to raise and keep.

They are black as juveniles and turn that bright yellow as adults...although there are some rarer individuals that can be dark colored as adults. It appears yours are normal for now, we can only tell at adult :)
Also, they'll eat just about anything...they are rather omnivorous and have seen them eat pre-killed crickets and roaches to your usual buffet of veggies.... pretty easy to raise and keep.
All so the coloration is just due to them being nymphs - makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.

They sound like another tank cleaner insect. ;) If that is the case I'm sure I can find them plenty of treats from my cricket tank and from my other feeders too.

I am curious though do they sing or make noise like other grasshoppers or crickets? So far they have been quiet, but as they are only nymphs it is likely due to that.

I am so happy that you like them..I had no idea what to do with them..They were a gift to me.. from another member...PrayingMantisPets... It was cool to see one in real life... but I didn't want to try to learn another insect, lifestyle... LOL I didn't even see the colors on them... I thought it was spots. Looks like a nice habitat you made for them... I am glad you are getting info about them... I couldn't find much either...

I am so happy that you like them..I had no idea what to do with them..They were a gift to me.. from another member...PrayingMantisPets... It was cool to see one in real life... but I didn't want to try to learn another insect, lifestyle... LOL I didn't even see the colors on them... I thought it was spots. Looks like a nice habitat you made for them... I am glad you are getting info about them... I couldn't find much either...
That I am, thanks Denise. So he is the one to blame or thank too ;)

I don't blame you, so far I'm up to trying anything especially a omnivore. Yeah it is amazing what you can see with a reversed lens setup on a camera (If they would hold still I could use my microscope camera too).

Thanks, so far they seem to enjoy it. I'll have to add some flora whenever everything decides to grow (or the Easter lilies get more than a inch tall).

Lubbers are so fun for kids! Their slow clumsy nature makes them quite easy to handle.

When they come out and our kids catch them in the yard, then we get to buy lettuce for ourselves and the lubbers! (=

Some years there are a lot more and some years there are very few.

That is cool to know... See ... they have there own life style, and pet potential...

That is cool to know... See ... they have there own life style, and pet potential...
I knew they had pet potential, after all people keep spiders. :D

Seriously though I've been thinking I know the perfect little person to give them to. My 9 year old nephew who wants to keep crickets, but his mom said no. Perhaps she'll feel different about grasshoppers. I'll have to check ;)

Where did you get these? I've been trying to get a hold of these for a few years now and eventually gave up because I thought they were just non-existent to the hobby.

They won't be easily available legally to those of us in California due to regulations controlling the movement of known and potential agricultural pests.

Permits would be required to obtain Orthopterans not native to our state.

They won't be easily available legally to those of us in California due to regulations controlling the movement of known and potential agricultural pests.

Permits would be required to obtain Orthopterans not native to our state.
That is why he was unable to get them, strange laws, but I guess with warmth year round it could become a invasive species there. Seems the cold in my area comes in handy for something after all. ;)

I would highly discourage sending them to Cali (or other states outside of their native territory) without the proper permit as Ranitomeya stated. To due the facts that they can and will eat just about anything and have very few predators (most are parasitic) is usually the ideal setup for a destructive invasive species. This is an excellent article by The University of Florida that covers mostly everything about the Eastern Lubber Grasshopper (Romalea microptera) you'd want to know. If you do happen to get caught with them in a strict state such as Cali, the CA dept of Agriculture wouldn't be too happy with you.

I actually live in Texas now, but that may be a reason why it was so hard for me to obtain them. I have no interests in circkets or grasshoppers, but there's something about the Lubbers that gets me.

I finally got my Eastern Lubber grasshoppers moved from their temporary habitat into their new home. They are a black morph version that was a gift from Denise (Dmina). They are quite interesting and have yellow and red stripes on them, which seems to vary a bit from each other.

I was curious if anyone else keeps them? Or knows much about them, besides they are often a pest in the southern US states, and can get 3" in size once adults?

Here are some photos of them running around their home. The white flakes on them is from dry feed I offered them besides veggies the other day. I'll have to take some new photos once they get it off themselves. ;)

Those are really cool! I've never seen those before

Last edited by a moderator:
Love them. I have some and they are great to keep. They need to be dry and will eat everything you give them

Latest posts