my californian mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleman

Reaction score
last year I found a mantis that laid an ootheca in California and I raised the ootheca and raised the babies. I have an adult and I still do not know what kind of mantis it is. here is a picture of the mantis and the ootheca it came from.

IMG_6420 (1).JPG

IMG_6421.JPG

IMG_6421.JPG

@Chameleman A adult female in the photos for sure, the wings covering only half the length of abdomen is always female as male wings extend to their end of their abdomen. :) To be sure on the species though you will need a photo looking down at the top of the wings, colored dots or lack of them on the wings, and other characteristics will help with proper identification.

Also can you please send a side shot of the ooth. Also where in California did you collect the ooth? 

You really have two main possibilities: Stagmomantis Limbata, or Stagmomantis Californica

Based on the darker color and the non raised "zipper" covering (typically in the Californica) my ? is on it being  Limbata.

Let me see if I have a few pics to show...

Stand by...

How long is it? Californica are generally smaller than Limbata but it's hard to judge the size from the pics.

My guess is S. Limbata. S. LImbata are also more plentiful and common.

I have talked to Steve from cricket crack  and he has confirmed it to be an Arizona border mantis

Latest posts