My crippled little Carolina, such a sweetie.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantidaddicted

Reaction score
He/she molted during transit, but his will to live is amazing! He is still running around and able to hunt as long as the prey is big enough, which involves a lot of hand feeding because he is scared since I think he knows he's injured.

His back left leg is completely gone, so his balance is a little off, but he manages to get by, by using his raptor claw in replacement.

His back is also bent. But I'm just glad he survived a molt during transit! He took honey down like it was candy, and now I'm just waiting for some molts to correct his back so he can stand straight.

I really love this one

. thumbnail_IMG_2122.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2118.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2120.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww! He loves his picture taken! What a ham!  He is just looking right at the camera for you! And with that close up picture you got of him, he looks like a boy! Which means he will have pretty, full wings when he is older!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww! He loves his picture taken! What a ham!  He is just looking right at the camera for you! And with that close up picture you got of him, he looks like a boy! Which means he will have pretty, full wings when he is older!
Do the boys normally have full wings to the end of their abdomen? I was pretty sure that was the case but I have one Carolina boy that just shed that has shorter wings like a girl.

Do the boys normally have full wings to the end of their abdomen? I was pretty sure that was the case but I have one Carolina boy that just shed that has shorter wings like a girl.
Yeah, they are definitely "supposed to" have wings that go past the bottom of the abdomen. See pics on Keepinginsects.com page:

http://www.keepinginsects.com/praying-mantis/species/carolina-mantis/

But I had some male african twigs whose wings did not go to the end, they were messed up from their final molt, so I am sure this could happen to other male species too. Or, if he literally just molted, they could still be spreading out, or maybe he still has one more molt afterall?

Yeah, they are definitely "supposed to" have wings that go past the bottom of the abdomen. See pics on Keepinginsects.com page:

http://www.keepinginsects.com/praying-mantis/species/carolina-mantis/

But I had some male african twigs whose wings did not go to the end, they were messed up from their final molt, so I am sure this could happen to other male species too. Or, if he literally just molted, they could still be spreading out, or maybe he still has one more molt afterall?
No he is definitely an adult. The upper set of wings came in perfect, nice and straight and neatly folded. They are noticeably short well above his rear. The lower set of wings look like they might have been slightly larger and thus got a little flared to the sides trying to fit under the upper portion. Both are fully pumped out though so it wasn't like they lost length in a poor molt. They are just noticeably short and his perky little bum sticks out all goofy like. I plan to take photos of him a little later to share.

Moving back on topic, your boy looks adorable Mantidaddicted. Have you come up with a name for him yet?

Moving back on topic, your boy looks adorable Mantidaddicted. Have you come up with a name for him yet?
Thank you!  I think Legolas, lol, but more like, leg-o-less.

Yeah I thought he was a boy! He really has a great personality. I love my little guy. All the others are jealous with all the attention I've been giving him :p  Thank you again for the beautiful mantises! 

Latest posts