My dang mantis won't molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinensispsyched

Reaction score
My subadult chinese mantis has been refusing food for a week now, and has been hanging upside-down for four days.

It has been misted twice a day, and is in a faunarium plastic enclosure with a sphagnum moss carpet, and a horizontal cottonwood twig.

I don't understand: the humidity is up, the enclosure is spacious, the room is dark, and the wing buds seem to be swollen, yet the dumb bug just won't molt.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Keegan

P.S. I noticed a whitish space between the two pairs of legs. Does that show a nearby molt?

Patience Keegan, mantids willl molt when they're ready, sometimes it takes a surprisingly long time, especially on that final molt to adulthood. Sounds like you're doing everything just fine, just wait and see what happens.

And no, I don't believe the "whitish space" you've mentioned is indicative of a molt. Refusing food and/or pacing are the signs I most commonly see prior to a molt.

Be happy....she gorged herself to stretch out her exoskeleton before, then she stopped eating to have enough room to successfully molt.....you're all good!

Its been three weeks since her last molt, so its about the average amount of time.
It gets longer the older they get. If this is the final molt it will be awhile. It will molt when it is time regardless of the condtiions you provide.

I thought that chinese mantids have a shorter period of time between molts when compared to tropical mantis species?

Does anyone know how long she will go without food before molting/ average time between molts?

It will happen when it happens.

I have noticed that some mantid's wingbuds can be swollen for a long time, as well as some other premolt signs, like food refusal.

I know that a molt is really close when the wingbuds are not only swollen, but also slightly lifted as well. Also, they may have alot of abdominal pulsing and the genitalia may seem to stay in an open position.

I have not yet been able to identify the wing buds as being swollen, but I do recognize that the genitalia have been at least half open for a while, and that there has always been at least a small bit of abdominal pulsation.

Keegan

one of my idolos arrived to me as an l2 and finally shed 2day after about 2 months. all my other idolos are now l4 and a few are l3s but will be shedding any day now. its pretty much like when a hippie wants to change its clothes........when they feel like it..

Latest posts