My European...adult female

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoKanDo

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
OMG She is a beauty, almost leucistic like! All mine are a brownish green, kinda like the color of the background of this forum :) . Nonetheless, they are beautiful females eh?

yes she is! she absolutely hates when i mist though, not sure why, i dont even get her wet but any who...

if you can see her cage in the background, its glass and has a mesh top, she stays up there 90% of the time...

has a pretty laid back personality, but does not like to be handled too much which kinda is a bummer, and have a green male

i got from Peter coming tomorrow! im planning on breeding em, hopefully some cute babies.

That's great to hear! I recently got some ooths from my europeans too. Very confused with this diapause stuff but I'm doing a bit of everything lol! Is that a 10 gallon tank? Seems a bit big for a european mantis :p , still though she'll have plenty of room to lay ooths. As for misting, make sure you mist on her, she needs those fluids. Arghh it's a shame these critters don't live long. You can almost see the attitude/personality in them.

yea i know what you mean, its going to be sad when she goes...but i know her offspring will/should do fine. yes its a 10 gallon tank, however she only uses the top lol...its kinda rare to see her on the branches, unless there is some food down there, btu shes doing fine right now.

do you know how long they live? also, can anyone tell me why their eyes turn red at night?

i think they turn red at night cause of the light or something and think its night vision or something for them to see better in the dark when they are hunting as my creobroter species did the same thing as I think it is if its a nocturnal hunter or something its eyes change color and my females got their mood swings as I was trying to help one who I thought was stuck on a branch and she did her threatening pose and that got me to move my fingers and my creobroter nebulosa did her pose when I was trying to move her away from the cage lid well move one of her legs and she got all snobby and did her pose and seems they throw down the pose just when your not doing anything threatening but I am sure they dont know that!

My europeans' eyes don't turn red... they just get big, googly, and black. From a nymph they typically live up to 9 months, maybe a year. Sorry to say but she won't stay with you that long, but we can always hope :D . I'm no expert (I'm a noob :p ) but i think 10 Gal seems a bit big, but as long as she's getting food I guess that's all that matters :) .

As for the eyes, I'm going to have to make a better observation.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i can remember, ill take pics...Yea, all the euro mantids ive seen around me have red eyes when it is around night time...its a dark red to a crimson color...