My experience collecting in Hong Kong and Malaysia

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gez sorry i have forgotten about this thread.

Thanks for sharing Yen. Your thread makes me feel like I was in the trip with you. So nice and all the collection you have... OMG!!
Sure Chun glad you like it. Have fun this coming December. Becareful if you decided to go up to CH around that time as that's during the raining season. On our way up to CH in June there was a huge old tree fall on the road and basically block both way but the it was clear up pretty quick. Luckily no one was hurt. and this is the new Simpang Pulai way!
The first Toxodera is T. fimbriata. The second one is difficult to see because of the angle, but I suggest Metatoxodera subparallela. The third one (from the farm) is T. beieri. The group was revised recently, there are 5 genera now with 17 species.The shield mantids of Francisco are Choeradodis rhombicollis. The rotten Brancsikia is a B. aeroplana nymph. I also saw Ceratocrania macra, Humbertiella sp., an Idolomorpha nymph and Ambivia undata. "No idea" is an Acanthops sp. The following is a Vates sp. male (has nothing to do with Psychomantis). The last male is not easy, Plistospilota or Calospilota sp.
Thanks Christian for the identification. Good stuff!
Thanks for sharing Yen, maybe 1 day I will get a chance to go hunting.Christian your knowledge about mantids is imense
Glad you like it Craig! Let me know if you plan to travel one day. I agree Christian can identify them in his sleep haha!
thanks for sharing, really enjoyed your photos, really miss the good food back in malaysia, hopefully next year. i remember the Penang Butterfly Farm, they had a D. dessicata and T. elegans on display 5 years ago, along with gazillion 'manfaced bugs'. Glad to see you had a good time
Yes Chun, go go go! lot of food and bugs waiting for you there :)
Once again this thread delivers.
Thanks Rick!
Wow. Thanks to Yen for sharing so many pictures...and to Christian for all the IDs. Most impressive.
No problem glad you like it.... and agree!
Awsome pics! I really liked the ones of the roaches lol
Hey Dustin. HOw's life in Florida? Sorry i couldn't bring back any roaches for you :( Getting pass my wife is much more difficult that passing through the custom check you know ;) Did you see I use the light cap during my CH bug hunt? ;)

my god this is so awesome! You´ve just been in bugheaven, I would love to visit a country like that one day, so many insects to see! Love your photos, they are too cool :)
Yeah Sachiko. I am like a kid in Disneyland is what it is.... a bugheaven basically in any tropical forest. Glad you enjoy the pics too :)

too bad you could not talk to some of those dealers of the dead mantises like the Parymenopus Davisoni and make a deal if he can get a hold of live specimens or even a ooth and try to culture those!
The dealers of the dead mantis are the aboriginal villagers who collect the insects and sell them to the butterfly farm and park in CH. Species like P. davisoni wouldn't stay alive under the aboriginal people hand and usually perished before they were brought to the middle man. Besides, they probably get a good price for spreading a dead specimen too.

This thread was incredible.

Yen, I believe you should make a thread, almost as a tutorial, on how to do this collecting!

Many people spend money on holidays sightseeing and sitting on a beach (both things I do, and have done in Malaysia) - but I have never collected bugs, something I really need to get working on now I've seen it can be done! A great inspiration to this community. Whilst at university, myself and some professors thought that people like this were relatively non-existant in this day and age!

Latest posts