My fat mantis is leaking from her top side! Can I put aloe on her stretch marks?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My fat egg bound iris oratoria ate a huge cricket. It was a mistake. Yesterday she oozed light brown goo from one of the lines on her back. However, she has dark brown stretch marks I'm afraid will pop. Could I put aloe on them or will that injure her more? I want to seal her abdomen and stop her from getting infected.

Should I give her water?

Will she die soon?

I love her sooo much. :mad:

I think honey is the natural antibiotic .. but I can not help.. I am new to the hobby.. Sorry

Yeah. I put honey. I was thinking aloe because it might help seal her underside and stop it from popping. I've used it with success on harder surfaces like the thorax and legs. (Also never before a molt). I just don't know if the abdomen is too soft?

People use super glue for tarantulas when they have an injury that needs to stop bleeding and be sealed up.

Unless she is still actively leaking and loosing blood, I wouldn't put anything on her. Just keep the meals on the lighter side with a couple days in between until she lays an ootheca and sheds some of that extreme weight. I would also make sure and offer plenty of water to replace any fluids she might have lost when bleeding from the initial rupture.

Remember that superglue dries hard and that there are spiracles on the side of the abdomen. You'll compromise her ability to stretch the flexible parts of her exoskeleton where you put superglue and you can easily clog up her spiracles, so if you do use superglue, use very little and only where it's needed. You probably won't need to use superglue anyways as she should be able to clot and scab on her own unless she's dying. I'm not sure a cricket would cause what you're describing--it sounds more like an injury than something she ate as she'd be puking if it were food-related rather than oozing from the side of her abdomen. It may be an injury from when you tried knocking her off her perch to get the cricket away from her.

Remember that our best intentions can always end up with the worst results. These are not domesticated animals and babying them often exposes them to things they would not normally encounter and are unable to tolerate.

Do not give her any more food till she looses some size! You could kill her doing that! A drop or two of water is ok. She will have gotten plenty from the cricket anyway.

Wait untill she has made her ooth then feed her. And pray hard!

Light brown goo? Mantis blood is green/light green, so unless it's greenish it's not blood.

I noticed the greenish blood when some molted. Ive noticed dark brown-red blood when they were probably infected. I've never seen this before. Also, I don't think she is capable of laying eggs. I tried putting her outside, before she ate the cricket but she is too scared.

I did not superglue. I will just give water and not touch her for now.

When I knocked her off her perch I did catch her, but I understand I probably still did damage. I don't know how to handle them now. Like I said she won't go back to nature. She is too scared.

I don't know what to do.