My first born fly

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
How cool ! Took a look inside Ponder Mantis's condo and see one of three HF pupas active with an escaping newborn. Really interesting to watch, having never studied the activity before (I really need to go out and buy a life).

The use / action of the ptilinum was obvious. What a clever mechanism to break through the casing. Hope Mr. Fly makes it. Ponder is beaking out the tablecloth.

Something morbid about thinking how young the fly is. like its got big plans for life, going to keep a journal of what its like to be a fly and the new world its in now that it has wings. It can't wait to explore, maybe meet a cute lady fly... And before any of it can even begin to happen he gets eaten.

Guilt? Well, a good combat to that is to think of how much food on the counter or samples at the grocery store that you've passed by because of the many flies.

You know those little sliding covers with holes in both of them that you match up on the side to access the samples? Or the clear plastic lids that you lift to access the sample? They are often used for slices of fruit samples. Once we were in a grocery store, and there were flies having a party underneath the lid. They couldn't get out, so they made themselves at home. Regurgitation? It's a fact of insect life (for flies anyway). But please, not in my food. :unsure:

I have gotten really careful how I feed flys to my mantises. I make sure nobody is any where near molting and I never leave them in the mantis container overnight. The first time I fed a fly to my 2nd mantis I made the mistake of leaving the fly in the container and the mantis started to molt and I missed the signs. The fly buzzed him off his perch and the mantis died :( Just a little heads up, I am sure you know that already anyway :)

I noticed with blue bottle flies that are freshly emerged their heads kind of balloon as if they are one of those squishy toys filled with water.

It's really weird to watch them do that on purpose to wiggle out of my grip.

I have a question about fly spikes - a lot of the bluebottle spikes I have are just brown. They aren't moving, but they are still squishy... are they dead or just early in the process of pupation?

For some reason, this topic evokes and integrates images from two different motion pictures with one common thread. So did Ponder (the velociraptor) eat Jeff Goldblum (the fly) yet? :lol: :rolleyes:

Latest posts