My first enclosures

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many kilos of candy do those jars contain, Sachiko? Do you have to eat all the candy before you can get a new mantis? Let me see, if you get ten mantids.... :D

Haha...the smaller one contained 900grams of candy and the bigger one more (didn´t check). This is just since christmas from me and my siblings. :)

But when I see theses boxes back in stores (is often only available at christmas) I was thinking about buying them and eating all the candy just to have another mantis enclosure :lol:

Thank you for being so nice :) I have some foundings on the enclosure matter ;)

One, the lid on these containers is rather...what do you say...big?..they go so far town that you can´t see the mantis through the side when it is in the lid, you have to look on top and through the lid to see the mantis, so the enclosure looks emty :lol: BUT

I have found out that enclosure one may be better than the second one...maby...I have a large window with mesh to cover it, the mantis in there seems to like it and hangs out there alot :D So I can see him/her all the time. I think it may be because the fly he got yesterday seemed to be in that area, will see better in the next feedings.

Will have to think about this regarding my next enclosure, I liked more enclosure 2 with two mini windows because I had more view from both sides through a clear plastic but now I am not sure.

Enclosure one: http://mantidforum.net/forums/uploads/1243...959_83_4250.jpg
Sachiko, on the lid issue you brought up, could you not just place a fine mesh cloth over the mouth of the jar and secure it with an elastic? That would allow you some better viewing and give your Mantis a surface to hang on.

I know Iceland has few native insect species, but soil is created and is fertile because of microbes and minute insects and other inverts in the soil that live in and off of it. You have it in their so give it a try but when you change your substrate, if you choose to go with soil again I would microwave it to be safe.

The enclosures look really nice, great job!!!!

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great. I wish I was that crafty. I am great at art but ask me to build something and it will end up in the trash. :(

Latest posts