My first Orchids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papilio_

Reaction score
At last, I've just received three fresh L3 Hymenopus coronatus nymphs from Aryia. I don't think I could ever tire of taking photos of these, such beauty.

Hymenopus coronatus, Orchid Mantis L3

Last edited by a moderator:
These photos took my breath away. :eek: Absolutely stunning.

Which lens + lighting? Also, how can you take so many shots to stack with something that moves around so much? Are they hand-held stacks or do you have a 'stack-rail'?
Sorry about all of these questions! :tt2:

Thanks so much Darkrai, I really appreciate it!

These were taken through a Raynox DCR-250 on a Sigma Apo OS Macro lens. I use a studio strobe with a 16-inch beauty-dish diffuser.

Haha Barely stacks! I just got lucky that a few of the hand-held images aligned well enough to stack ... sort of. Actually, those were taken through a Canon MP-E 65mm which I've adapted to my Nikon, but I have no aperture control of course so can't get much DOF with the lens. I use it primarily for studio stacking, for which I have a StackShot.

One of the Orchids molted in transit, here's a 140-image focus stack of its exuvia ...

[Edit] Oh btw, it occurred to me that you perhaps thought that some of the earlier images were stacked (?). I've only been lucky enough to get an actual deep stack of one of my mantids so far, the Creo when it was young didn't move at all, and I twice got over 100 shots with not even a waving antenna or moving mouth-part! Anyway, most of these have pretty good DOF since I'm using a D800E ... with such a massive sensor I can get away with shooting at f/32 and even all that diffraction doesn't really show up at web sizes. When I was shooting with APS-C sensors I would rarely go above f/16.

Here's one of the deep stacks of the Creo, L2 ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Breathtaking photo's !!! thanks for sharing..

Did you put any of your photo's up for the calendar?

Thanks a lot dmina, very kind of you!

Yeah, I'm working on selecting some right now ... almost impossible to decide on which to submit! :)

Maaaaaah vah las !!

Almost as patience and time consuming as astrophotography!

So enjoyed reviewing these.

Thanks much Digger! I really had fun shooting this mantis, such a gorgeous thing.

You're into astrophotography as well then? I was an optical designer and telescope builder for a number of years. But that was way before I got so into photography, at the time my preference was for visual deep-sky observing at large aperture. If I still had my big scopes and the 10,000-foot high desert skies which I did then I'm sure I'd be imaging like crazy!

Your orchid photos are beautiful. They are one of my favorites to photograph as nymphs...not too exciting as adults, though the mating is interesting because of the size difference.

Thanks a lot Tammy!

I definitely know what you mean ... I think that for quite some time I've come to feel the greatest enjoyment shooting inverts the most when they're very young. More challenging to be sure, adding to the satisfaction, but almost always the most bizarre and beautiful as well.

I have to say, I am very impressed, and I don't say that often. I definitely would put those up for entry in the calendar if I was you.

Thanks a lot tlchams, I appreciate it! Pretty tough to take a bad photo of an Orchid. :)

I've already posted my calendar submissions, one is an Orchid.

good god, these colors; the lighting and focus is amazing! These are almost totally surreal!

Stunning shots, wowow I want more!!

good god, these colors; the lighting and focus is amazing! These are almost totally surreal!

Stunning shots, wowow I want more!!
Many thanks TheBeesKnees! They are remarkable mantids, and the colors are so vivid even to the naked eye that I knew they'd have to look wonderful when the flash does its magic. :)

Latest posts