My Giraffe mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my adult giraffe mantis eating a wax worm in celebration. This might been a male, not sure. He does have a bit of a ball joint at the base of the neck.

P.S. He still watches me as a adult.

IMG_20180831_191543.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful mantis. Congratulations on the adult molt! Definitely looks like a male to me, females have puny wings and are quite fat.

And glad to hear he’s eating well and still enjoys observing you.  ;)

CC607_D56-_DF1_D-43_EF-9_D56-_F82_DF0_CCAFBD.jpg

That makes sense and his wings are huge and very long antennas. So little has been written about about this species. Almost lost him because they are very good jumpers.  Found him sitting on top of kitchen can waiting for me. 

Well, my big Wandering Violins look more fragile to me.

My baby giraffe lost entire leg but got that fourth leg back after the molt. Took a few days to get used to the new leg.

I am glad she got her leg back! How many violins do you have?

- MantisGirl13

I have five violins but they are outgrowing their tank. I am looking at the Exo Terra Medium/Tall which is 24” x 18” x 24”  to house them. They are fun to watch at food time. They do the dance while eating. They swing to the right and then to the left. They also like to do the twist while eating also but never the bob. I have to feed the violins twice a day otherwise they get on each other nerves. My adult giraffe is always pleading with those big round eyes with arms extended  for more food.

:)  I have one female violin; she ate her sister. 

- MantisGirl13
While I never had a mis-molt with the Violins or with the Devil Flowers one of my female violins did in fact like you, ate her sister even when I know that they were well fed. The irony of all of this it that I have one male adult violin living with the two other females with no issues. The two females do squabble with each other for the perfect spot in catching flies. The male is able to survive dealing with that issue. 

My adult giraffe is happy to see that a fresh shipment of flies just came in. His face almost touching the door. My baby giraffe enjoys rides on my hand.

Latest posts