My Gongylus gongylodes Enclosures.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. sinensis

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just wanted to share the enclosures I set up for my Gongylus gongylodes. I received eight sub-adults, four males and four females, in trade for some of my captive bred and born 5th "instar" Damon diadema.

I chose two screen enclosures made by DIYcages.com that are 16 inches (40.64 cm) wide and deep by 30 inches (40.64 cm) tall. I have the males and females separated between the two enclosures.

After doing some testing, I covered the outside surface of the two sides, the cleaning doors (located on the bottom-front), and part of the roof on each enclosure with thin vinyl sheeting to assist in maintaining temperatures and humidity. This has done very well, without interfering with the inhabitants' ability to climb on the inner surfaces. I didn't need to do this to the back of the enclosures due to my addition of the backgrounds.

I wanted to use only one 75 watt incandescent light bulb to heat them so I picked up an aluminum cooking pan from Wal-Mart and cut a hole in it about half an inch (1.27 cm) smaller than the dome and used aluminum tape to secure the dome to it.

After that was finished and tested, I placed in some manzanita branches and covered the floor with pasteurized oak and hickory leaves. Finished!

IMG_2636_zpsa2b72f51.jpg

Cut to fit:

IMG_2642_zps9cf62df1.jpg

​Vinyl overlapping the custom shroud:

IMG_2644_zps0dca237b.jpg

Inside view:

IMG_2647_zps883b31f1.jpg

Finished:

IMG_2594_zps514fe2f7.jpg

One of the females:

IMG_2613_zpsee57a596.jpg

Looks like you are using metal mesh. That is a big "no-no" for gongys. They have a high chance of breaking their tarsis on the mesh.

What temperatures do you hit with this set up? I assume there would be a temperature gradient from the top to bottom.

The only thing I'd be worrying about is heat loss through the front? Which means the Gongylus would spend all their time near the heatsource up top which would kind of waste the size of the enclosure in general. Might be worth it to look into better insulation for the front while keeping up with ventilation somehow.

The enclosure looks great though! Nice work~

Looks like you are using metal mesh. That is a big "no-no" for gongys. They have a high chance of breaking their tarsis on the mesh.
Thank you for the advice. So far, they have not shown any difficulty in moving along the screen. Though, I can place a sheer fabric on the inside to avoid the potential issues.

What temperatures do you hit with this set up? I assume there would be a temperature gradient from the top to bottom.

The only thing I'd be worrying about is heat loss through the front? Which means the Gongylus would spend all their time near the heatsource up top which would kind of waste the size of the enclosure in general. Might be worth it to look into better insulation for the front while keeping up with ventilation somehow.

The enclosure looks great though! Nice work~
Thank you. The highest temperature point is 106 degrees Fahrenheit (immediately below the light) but the coolest point is 82 degrees Fahrenheit (floor). The room that I have the enclosures in has an ambient range of 74-78 degrees Fahrenheit. They change positioning to the lowest branches, the door, sides, and ceiling. Due to these observations, I believe the thermal gradient is sufficient.

Thank you. The highest temperature point is 106 degrees Fahrenheit (immediately below the light) but the coolest point is 82 degrees Fahrenheit (floor). The room that I have the enclosures in has an ambient range of 74-78 degrees Fahrenheit. They change positioning to the lowest branches, the door, sides, and ceiling. Due to these observations, I believe the thermal gradient is sufficient.
That's really nice! I should give incandescent bulbs a try as well. The amount of wattage they use (with my already high electrical bill) is a little off-turning though :/

Latest posts