My mantid is suicidal/sadomasochistic

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macano

Reaction score
Came home to a strange sight last night. One of my sphods was eating one of her own arms! She is well fed, and actually is quite plump. She was holding the arm with her other arm, and just chomping away casually. Last I saw her, she had no injury, and I suspect she didn't recieve one after that unless she took a massive fall. But I doubt it. She ate it all the way down to first elbow. She left her other arm alone. I've never had this happen in my years of mantid keeping. Here's a pic:

IMG_1684.jpg

bizarre!

i was surprised this doesnt happen more often, they must have some kind of body map in their brains to tell them where their limbs are in space, this one must just have gone nuts!!! it might have thought it'd caught something and hadnt, but found it was edible, and oops it was it's own arm!

i've had one do that, but it looked like she had a bacteria or fungus. i wonder if they do that to keep it from spreading?

i was just about to edit my post and add that! i was thinking perhaps they do chew off segments they feel have something wrong with them just in case. a bacterial infection could mean death, a lost arm doesnt

i was just about to edit my post and add that! i was thinking perhaps they do chew off segments they feel have something wrong with them just in case. a bacterial infection could mean death, a lost arm doesnt
I concur. This is kinda like how a fox will chew its leg off if it gets caught in a trap...

Weird. Can't say I've ever had that happen.

just be glad she didnt eat her own head

PS: if she does i want pics and a video

sorry that happened. i agree with Johnald that it could be some kind of mould.

Latest posts