My mantis died :(

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marko999999

Reaction score
Ok i'll be completely honest. I am new here and I love mantids since my childhood. Recently I saw a tutorial on youtube on how to pet a mantis. Since at this time of year there are lots of mantids everywhere i decided to take one as a pet myself. It was a brownish female  european mantis. I was so happy. I put her into a large glass jar with a few large sticks so she can hang, i put like 3 to 4 cm of dirt layer at the bottom and i covered it with thin bandage like cloth so she cant get out. I put in a few crickets so she can eat them. I gave her one large mosquito with tweezers myself and she ate it. It was fine. Unfortunately after that she didnt want to eat anything. She would just hang upside down on the cloth at the top. And this morning she died :( I think she had enough light, there was plenty of food, I was spraying water 2 times a day- at morning and evening, she had enough space to move around if she wanted and she was alone, no other mantids. So why did she die? I saw her belly changed the colour so maybe she got infected? I did not sterilize the twigs cause I thought there was no need, since dirt itself isnt rly clean either. Or maybe she got poisoned by something in the water? I did use a bottle from glass cleaning fluid, but I washed it thoroughly (or maybe so it seemed). Or it was to humid in the air and she couldnt breathe, in which case the fact that she hanged at the top would make sense? Or maybe i got an old specimen and it was her time to die anyways (which i imagine is highly unlikely). So if somebody has an answer or suspicion pls help me. I would rly like to have a mantis as a pet as bugs and reptiles do depict me very well :)

I am so sorry she died!

It could have been the shock from going from wild to captive although I have done the same a couple times and they didn't die.... i have no clue. 

I do know glass jars aren't recommended for mantids.... I have no clue! Sorry?

Wild mantids generally do fine when brought into captivity. Although it’s hard to say exactly what killed your mantis without much information. Some members say crickets are a dangerous food source because they can cause infections. 

Another possibility is it’s because by it’s  a glass jar, there may not have been enough ventilation, which might also explain why she turned brown so quickly. 

Not eating is also a sign of old age, so she’s may have just been an older female, especially considering the time of the year.

Whatever may have killed her, I’m sorry for your loss.

Thx for all your compassion and quick replies. Well it might have been a mix of all factors. So next time i will try to find a younger specimen. Before that I had a small male, but I let him go and I took the brownish female. But for some reason he was also hanging at the top, so it seems that its too humid in the jar or maybe the water that i sprayed wasnt so clean which led to poisoning. Anyways I will try to find a replacement. I would rly like a suggestion on what to give them to eat. I mean there are plenty of crickets, but after what River Dane said I would try to find a replacement. If you guys have any suggestion feel free to tell me. I dont have access to specialized stores that sell insects, so I have to hunt for bugs myself. Can some of these be used as a food: large male mosquitoes, smaller moths, house spiders (although i found some bigger ones but i was afraid they would hurt my mantis(they had nasty fangs)), i imagine stinky bugs and ladybugs are poisoness so i wont mention other variations. Can maybe fly larvae be used as a food (idk i use them for fishing so maybe its worth mentioning xD)

Amd if u have one or two caring tips feel free to share. Thank you people

Mantids almost always hang out at the top of their enclosures, but the humidity was probably too high in this case. Yes, those insects would be fine as food. You can catch wild prey: moths, skippers, butterflies, lanternflies, anything that looks ok. Ladybugs and stink bugs taste bad to the mantis. If you raise the fly larvae into flies it would work as GREAT food.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts