my mantis finally molted

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aje88

Reaction score
hey guys my chinese mantis molted to L5 and hes huge now. im not sure if hes a good size . what instar will he stop molting

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys my chinese mantis molted to L5 and hes huge now. im not sure if hes a good size . what instar will he stop molting
Chinese usually molt six or seven times in just over three months. Can you see tiny wing buds pointing back from the far end of the thorax? If so, he may be ready to become adult after the next molt.

What are you feeding him on now, by the way? :D

are the chinese mantis easy to keep because i got a ooth :) gd times lol are thy as easy as wot peeps say

thnx

lil jay

im not sure wot peeps say but tenodera so far for me have not been harder or easier than any other species. i suppose its might be seen as easier as you have so many nymphs. or harder for the same reason ;)

I've raised T.aridifolias since ooths and L1s many times, and I always had problems with mass deaths in their hatching/L1 stage. (I would always end up with 20 somthing surviving nymphs by the end)

It is after i got here that I found out that it is a rather common thing for this species in captivity.

So I guess you would just have to remember that that happens quite often and not be so confusedly heartbroken like me haha.

The only real difficulty for me would be that and pretty much nothing else though. If they survive through that they become rather sturdy,

and by the time they are sub sub to sub adults man nothing will get in their way!

I never really tries this my self, but maybe spreading them out into smaller groups instead of one big group once they hatch could help?

Minkyu

I remember being quite surprised by the size change between molts in my Chinese mantids. It was almost hard to believe it was the same insect. It must be uncomfortable for them to be cooped up in that skin right before a molt. It's bizarre to go to sleep with an inch long mantis, and wake up to one so much bigger and thicker. Thank goodness the disposed skin is there to assure us that our mantis has just grown.

:)

Carol

yh i was think ing of putin thm in there own tank cups ;) when thy get hard :)

aje, there's a lot of literature about Chinese mantids & even more posts on the subject in this very forum. I'd suggest using Google or the 'search' option before asking a question for the sake of increasing the number of your posts.

Last edited by a moderator: