My mantis glows in the dark!!!! (Pics!!)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too, but you have to kill them when they are lit up. It smears.

P.S. I no longer kill bugs for fun. Nor do I condone it.

Yep. When we were kids we used to smash that part up and rub it on us. :lol:
I used to smear them also (but on the ground). I remembered that the "florescence" would continuously glow when smeared. I figured that being chewed would have the same effect. I was right! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was always told they won't eat the glowey part. What gives?
I don't know if it's the bioluminescence that makes them toxic, but I'm pretty sure that some species of fireflies are toxic. I read somthing once about certain species using their lights to attract other species, not to mate but to eat them and increase their own toxicity. But mabey their toxins don't affect mantises.

I don't know if it's the bioluminescence that makes them toxic, but I'm pretty sure that some species of fireflies are toxic. I read somthing once about certain species using their lights to attract other species, not to mate but to eat them and increase their own toxicity. But mabey their toxins don't affect mantises.
So far as I know, it is only the glow worm larva that produces a toxin in its stomach. That can paralyze and dissolve the insides of a snail that it attacks and eats. The adult doesn't eat, so it doesn't need the toxin. The bioluminescent substance found in larvae and adults is not apparently toxic. Anyone know more about this?

So far as I know, it is only the glow worm larva that produces a toxin in its stomach. That can paralyze and dissolve the insides of a snail that it attacks and eats. The adult doesn't eat, so it doesn't need the toxin. The bioluminescent substance found in larvae and adults is not apparently toxic. Anyone know more about this?
It would be interesting to find out more... ;)

I do know that the adults excrete a white substance. It does smell bad, but apparently it it not toxic. :lol:

When we were kids, we used to catch lightening bugs by the handfulls and put them in clear quart jars with holes poked in the lids. We loved making our lightening bug "lanterns!" But the stench on your hands afterwards.... ughhh!!!! No amount or kind of soap would remove the odor from your hands. It would take days to wear off. I'd about puke every time I would eat (bringing hands up near face).

KillerFart.gif

I never smelled it, but we did smear them too, wonder why God put them there, he knew we would kill them to play with the glow?
God was going through a pretty rough time about 6,000 years ago. Did you ever look at a wart hog or that spider thing that Massaman showed us? You gotta be hurting to create stuff like that.

There aren't any in CA?
Nope. Nowhere up the Pacific Coast, either, so far as I know. Do you have any, Peter?

Guess I should add, though, that there are a lot of species next door to Ca, in ARIZONA, in the north and southeast, though not in the desert around Yuma.

Never knew that, thanks for posting.

Anyways, Ogiga, if you want some to play around with I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping. (or anyone else for the matter of fact) ;)

Latest posts