My Mantis is going for a World Record

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissim Klaw

Reaction score
In the slowest eater department. Some of you might remember a number of months back me mentioning my girl mantis, Hocus Pocus who has a deformity in her mouth. She can eat on her own at this point, but she is officially the slowest eater I have ever seen and today she broke all her old records. Gave her a large, freshly shed cricket at 11 A.M. and she didn't finish it till sometime past 8 P.M. For those curious, she was actively eating the entire time. This wasn't one of those cases where the mantis will get distracted, and freeze holding the prey for a period of time before continuing. Nope, she was trying her best to nom away the entire time. :whistling:

Pics or it didn't happen!

lol, seriously though, what kind of mantis is Hocus?

I do know that freshly shed crickets are my mantis' favorites. They eat even after getting full!

Shes a sweetie!
tongue.gif

Pics or it didn't happen!

lol, seriously though, what kind of mantis is Hocus?

I do know that freshly shed crickets are my mantis' favorites. They eat even after getting full!
Hocus Pocus is an adult Euchomonella macrops.She does seem to love her freshly shed crickets and those are mainly what I feed her because she has problems with the tougher to chew exoskeletons. Usually I feed her smaller freshly shed crickets, this was the first adult cricket I have tried feeding her so didn't know how it would play out. The smaller-medium size crickets usually take her from two-four hours. It is funny because I can feed my boy of the same species a cricket of the same size and he will be finished within 15-30min while she is nowhere near done. Despite her mouth problems though she seems to be thriving.

@ Hibiscusmile- She really is such the sweetest little love bug. :wub:

They really are quite sadistic. Can you imagine having little spoonfuls taken out of you =0

I gave one of my little guys a miniaturized copy of the 120 days of sodom. He loves it!

:lol: I still feel bad for the feeders, especially when thea are still moving after a few minutes. It would be nice if mantids always ate the head first, but they don't. Still, I love to watch. I can't help it. :D

Latest posts