My mantis lost a leg.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Lady

Reaction score
My mantis Anainah lost a leg during her last molt. Will her leg grow back with her next molt? It is one of her walking legs.
She doen't seem to miss it. She climbs like she have all her legs. I think she is L5 (dont know fore sure, in pets hop they couldn't tell me how she she was when I bought her)

Yes she will grow it back though it will be slightly smaller then her other legs. Also depending on how many molts she has left will determine the rate of regrowth and repair. So if she only had one molt left (which she doesn't since she is around L5) she would have a tiny gimpy leg! But since she has several more molts she should grow it back just fine.

Good to know, it will grow back. Think she has 2 molts to go. I dont think she feels handicapped with one leg less. she will adapt if her new leg is smaller than her other legs. Hope she will eat good for the energy she needs to gow that leg back.

She is still a problematic eater but yesterday she ate almost a whole grasshopper. so her abdomen looks full now(y)

Oh wow nearly a whole grasshopper! Sounds like she had a good meal. Yes, mantises seem to adapt pretty well even if the leg is smaller.

Eccept for the spring legs. Those I trew away and moved her to a new home to have enough space for her next molt

She molted yesterday en she had a good molt and she has grown a new small leg. I think she has one more molt to go, so the leg will grow bigger. It is nice to see how nature fixes a lost leg with next molt to replace the lost one:cool:

Latest posts