My mantises first Molt, any advice appreciated!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildworldnick

Reaction score
Hello there!

I’m a new Mantis owner myself, did lots of research before deciding to get two ghosts but only 2 days after they arrived of fairly sure that they’ve both decided to Molt at the same time.

I’ve a few questions if anyone could educate me

1. Both Mantises haven’t moved (still hanging upside down) in a good day and a half and one Mantis ignored a fruit fly running past completely, Is it safe to assume there about to Molt? 

2. I understand Ghosts like a humid environment, but should I still be doing their daily spray even when they are going to Molt? Like, it won’t ruin the Molt or disturb them?

3. One of the lollipop sticks a mantis has decided to hang from appears to be developing Mold! Should I just leave it in there until this mold has completed? Honestly pretty concerned about this one.

4. A mantis turned to look at me when I was checking it’s enclosure, this small movement won’t ruin a Molt will it?

Thanks for looking and have a great day!

Regards 

Nick

1. Both Mantises haven’t moved (still hanging upside down) in a good day and a half and one Mantis ignored a fruit fly running past completely, Is it safe to assume there about to Molt? 
Exactly what one would expect to see.

2. I understand Ghosts like a humid environment, but should I still be doing their daily spray even when they are going to Molt? Like, it won’t ruin the Molt or disturb them?
What instar are your nymphs? Likely isn't a huge problem. Ghosts are hardy and tolerate a wide band of environment. Id spray though. In and out real quick. Too dry is a mismolt risk. The hydration (internal) of the mantis is what's really important though.

3. One of the lollipop sticks a mantis has decided to hang from appears to be developing Mold! Should I just leave it in there until this mold has completed? Honestly pretty concerned about this one.
You dont want to see mold. Brief short-term exposure maybe isnt a big deal. I defer to experts. Premolt can last a couple days though. Id probably pull the stick.

4. A mantis turned to look at me when I was checking it’s enclosure, this small movement won’t ruin a Molt will it?
Nah. They.literally slide out of their skin. Turning its head wont do a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies Hysteresis!

So, I’ll post pictures below, I Originally ordered 1 Mantis from a seller, but I received two, so I didn’t have the probably enclosure for the second, so I had to makeshift the second enclosure until something better arrived.

Both are L2 (As far as I’m aware)

8789D870-D512-45CC-8FEF-57E20B506ECF.jpeg

8DF3A06D-AC55-4015-BD3E-5082159C5704.jpeg

962CF9A5-B8EC-4FA5-849E-A4F9AE8024E3.jpeg

Nick, I see you have mesh under that lid. Go ahead and perforate the lid some more or cut cross vents in the cup so you have a lot of ventilation. That'll do. 

You need good ventilation. Also, allow 3x the mantis' length, in vertical unobstructed distance (height) to allow it to molt. Dont let it bottom oit or get snagged up while molting.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they do fall, and you see it, dont peel off the exuvia. Re suspend it by the "butt shed". Let it finish.

Sorry to hear. What you want in a molt surface is something grippy enough they can hang from, and it should also support the weight of the nymph without flexing too much.

Latest posts