My Miniature CP Terrarium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will ship any pack for $5ea total via paypal since I won't be using them.

I think they will just cost a stamp and an envelope, both of which I have already.

I only have one of each pack and I think that might be less than I paid for them so not looking at a profit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was not aware the traps required less humidity. They came in a humidity dome so I just threw them on in there. Hehe. I should probably do some study work on these things one day but kinda like to watch it change on it's own and see what takes place. That trim I gave it a while back was the first real thing I did to it since I set it going
You know, it bugs me (no pun intended....ok, ye there was) that flytraps come in humidity domes.

They're native to a small stretch of bogland near Willmington, NC. Yes, summers ARE humid....but it's by no means a requiremen. Moist soil, on the other hand, is. They can live through bried dry spells (as I can attest to via neglect), however they won't look their best.

But I grow mine outside, on the deck and in the front yard in full sun. They do just fine....I allow them to bloom in the spring, so it's not usually until about now that they start looking really good (blooming reduces trap production, since blooms and seed formation require energy)....but I took a look this morning, and I was pleased with how they've recovered since this years seed productions is finished.

If you're really starting to get into CP's, you get yourself a plane ticket to Providence, RI for the last weekend in September....We have a two day CP show then....I think it's our 8th annual (I forget...might be 7th, but I'm pretty sure it's 8th). Best show in the continental US (though I may be somewhat biased :rolleyes: )

n1375343641_30072202_4934.jpg

(yes, I'm bragging just a LITTLE bit...)

Now I will go speak to my wife, who will happily bring my ego back under control.... :blink:

Now I will go speak to my wife, who will happily bring my ego back under control.... :blink:
Hahaha

I know the feeling.

Those are some mighty fine Pitchers there dude.

I have been meaning to get a mini CP greenhouse but I think the mantid hobby kinda took off for me here.

I still want to get one some day. Being in the apartment I don't have an outside, only a porch that is shared with another apartment and really not even a porch at all. I suppose I could leave some of my plants out there.

I agree that if you see something being sold in a weird way that it can bug me too. Like all the chameleons I bought who had no drippers or food and dirty cages in the pet shops.

For you, my friend, I will do my best to dig my traps and sarra's out of the terrarium. When I have some time that is. :D

Hi!

very cool plants :) I am also amazed that your VFT looks so good, in lowland conditions year round like this. But indeed for both the sar and VFT it should be potted, etc etc. That pulchella should continue to thrive in there, it is one of the pygmies that doesn't need a dry dormancy! I bet you could use your Britta filter to water your plants, since you don't need much water per week to be added anyway! that is, if you do change your filter as often as it should ( I have one myself, it's sooo easy to forget to change it!). I do use it when I'm out of distilled water, so that a good part of potentially harmful minerals get absorbed and I can still water my plants. ( the N. ventricosa will not mind some extra minerals, as long as the ppm doesn't get much higher than 200ppm). Glad to see some CP enthusiasts on the forum, and don't be fooled by people who tell you that they aren't worth the price! it is not very expensive, especially when grown from seeds, and are very rewarding plants when you understand their specific needs :)

Fred

I'm afraid to dig the plants out. Will I harm any roots? Should I put them back into some sphagnum?

I just bought an orchid flower that is in sphagnum moss too. I have to learn how to fertilize it now.

I just figured out it doesn't need much water at all. Once a week if that.

PS the water coming from my apartment after going through the britta filter 3 stage unit is 180ppm. Not so bad! Less than my old 5 bedroom house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that is odd,

I tested some water without using the Britta filter and it also comes out to 180ppm!

You would think the filter would remove some of the particles in the water but I guess not! That doesn't make sense to me. :blink:

I've got a 5.5 gallon that one of my mantids lives in. Maybe I can just recycle it when her time comes
sad.gif
Well, her time came. I put Zorak down yesterday...and yes I cried (a lot)...so, on with the CP terrarium! If I understand what you've done here Ghostie, it's potting soil, some sort of moss, and you started with everything in cups or did you plant some of them? I'm going to be starting from scratch with a clean tank.

Wow that is odd, I tested some water without using the Britta filter and it also comes out to 180ppm! You would think the filter would remove some of the particles in the water but I guess not! That doesn't make sense to me. :blink:
The Brita water filter doesn't remove any solids, it's a pretty crappy filter than just removes some odor from the water. 180ppm is too high, the best thing would be a reverse osmosis filter.

Well, her time came. I put Zorak down yesterday...and yes I cried (a lot)...so, on with the CP terrarium! If I understand what you've done here Ghostie, it's potting soil, some sort of moss, and you started with everything in cups or did you plant some of them? I'm going to be starting from scratch with a clean tank.
Sorry to hear about Zorak.

Can't use potting soil, need sphagnum moss. What plants were you planning to start with?

Sorry to hear about Zorak.

Can't use potting soil, need sphagnum moss. What plants were you planning to start with?
Thanks for your regards. She was an awesome mantid! And after I put the potting soil into the aquarium, I read in another thread that you're supposed to use moss and never potting soil! :lol: Figures I'd do stuff the hard way
dry.gif
I don't know exactly what I was going to start with. I love pitcher plants and fly traps, so I figured I would start with some easier variety of one or both of them I guess!

Thanks for your regards. She was an awesome mantid! And after I put the potting soil into the aquarium, I read in another thread that you're supposed to use moss and never potting soil! :lol: Figures I'd do stuff the hard way
dry.gif
I don't know exactly what I was going to start with. I love pitcher plants and fly traps, so I figured I would start with some easier variety of one or both of them I guess!
Unless the terrarium is gonna be open top and put outside, pitchers are too tall for a terrarium. Flytraps are fun, you should start with the easiest species of them all, Drosera capensis. I've got way too many of these, let me know if you want some.

Latest posts