My new mantid room!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you get the jars with the different colored lids as seen in the photo of your bathroom sink? They're like exactly the size container I need right now.

Where did you get the jars with the different colored lids as seen in the photo of your bathroom sink? They're like exactly the size container I need right now.
Hey, Shorty.... I got them at the Dollar Tree store. They came 3 to a pack, small, medium, and large, all nested together for a buck. I bought all they had at both our Dollar stores in town... and all they had left at the Dollar Tree where my brother lives when I went to visit him! :p You ought to check yours out if you have one... not Dollar General but the Dollar Tree... in the housewares dept. Oh, and they had 2 different styles, one is a little taller and thinner than the other style. Here's a pic of how they came (below). Thank goodness my husband wasn't with me any of the times. And I kind of stashed them in bags in a few different places... so he doesn't realize just how many I really do have, lol! I don't hide anything important from him. But I thought it was better just to keep this to myself. ;) :rolleyes: Can husbands have wives committed? :huh:

November2008_105.jpg

Thanks! I believe we have a dollar tree but I'm not entirely sure. I know we have a dollar general. I'll check it out tomorrow.

It should be a relief not having to move out of the bathroom for someone when you're in the middle of working on something like feeding.

I live alone in my 2 bedroom apartment but keep the mantis' and fruit flies in the living room and dining room, where it's heated.

I heat my apt soley by grow lights that I grow a vegitable and herb garden to, so that's the heated area of the house.

I just hatched an ootheca about a week and a half ago, and they've already molted. This is my second one hatched, but the first one that the mantis' lived.

I bought oothecas at a whole foods store and didn't know they needed any help to survive and just lodged a ootheca in the crotch of a tomato plant, and the babies just hung under the ootheca and dried up, so I got online and now I've misted them and keep them in jars, a gallon sun tea jar, and half gallon pickle jar, and several quart mason jars.

I have most in the large jars, and another otheca just hatched a couple days ago, so I have some little ones.

I just noticed yesterday that the first batch molted and today I noticed them attacking the just hatched batch. I'd never seen that before, so I gotta move those guys out to save them, or let natural selection take place...

I bought a couple aquariums, a 5gal and 10 gal, at a yard sale the other day, and was going to set them up for mantis' and would like to make it a poly culture, but not sure how that'll work out.

LOL I bet noone can find the ashtray except fot the obvious owner... BTW the room is great!

LOL I bet noone can find the ashtray except fot the obvious owner... BTW the room is great!
Thanks, ming ming. :) That's about how it is right now, lol!

Wow... looking back at these pics now is kind of funny. I had so much room at first!!! Now I've got almost every available space full, without making it too crowded to work in. ;) :lol:

lol i cant believe what you have, i can only wish for something of that magnitude, so lil room right now and i want to sell these things, you all have probably seen what i got on that thread a few days ago =) 6 mantises and a very small room lol

No ones asked so i want to lol how the !frick on a stick! do you feed hundreds of mantises?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the bug room a lot, obviously, Doug! :p
i know lol but whats the process, open the zipper a lil bit and funnel them in one by one lol man i dred the day when i have to do that lol, id rather invent a machine to auto feed lol

i know lol but whats the process, open the zipper a lil bit and funnel them in one by one lol man i dred the day when i have to do that lol, id rather invent a machine to auto feed lol
All by hand, Doug, lol! Open containers, pour in ff's. Unzip cubes, pour in ff's or crickets, or release house flies in there. It's a lot of work. ;)

Haha it is so funny that you had your mantises in your bathroom on top of the toilet :lol:

Great that you have your own Mantis room now, congratulations :)

Latest posts