My nymph ( prohierodula picta) won't eat

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G.Moriah

Reaction score
Hello all!,

My nymph haven't been eating for the last three days... before I've given it small drosophilas (first from a culture, then I would catch them) but have stopped eating since then.

So, my question here is, do you think my nymph is starting to molt?. It can move, but it prefers to remain still at a side. Or is it the food?, I also wanna try giving it springtails but, I don't know if it's molting at all, or is it starving, or something.

By the way, I'm a first timer so thanks a lot for all the information given on this forum, It have been helping me a lot.

p.d. sorry for the bad english

Here some pics of it/her

PICTA1.jpg

_MG_6021F.jpg

dont put anymore feeders in for a couple more days..it could be getting ready to molt. Mine wont eat for a few days before it molts and it wont molt with flies or crickets in with it

My nymph just died yesterday :( .

I have another mantis, a L2 Rhombodera, she's so active and voracius, and has the same conditions as had my nymph. I don't know if it was something to do with the food ?.

Sorry to hear that. :( Could be the humidity - are you misting your mantids regularly? Give it some water and if it drinks, it likely is due to water and not food. If it isn't interested in the water like the food, it could be the temperature (whats your temperature?). Sadly though with small nymphs they do die regularly for no reason too. That is why most ooths hatch hundreds at a time, very small percentages (15-25%) usually make it.

Sure I did!, I misted her daily, and the temp of my place is usually 22°C (on the acceptable range...) with a few cool mornings (I hope this wasn't the factor). Yes... if I had found this forum before buying my mantis, I could have been more cautious.

Sure I did!, I misted her daily, and the temp of my place is usually 22°C (on the acceptable range...) with a few cool mornings (I hope this wasn't the factor). Yes... if I had found this forum before buying my mantis, I could have been more cautious.
I wasn't accusing, just making sure like most things - start with the most obvious (is is turned on? type thing lol). Depending on the cool night temperatures it could have affected the tiny L2 nymphs as you mentioned. Most species can not handle 65 F (18 C) or lowers temps without affecting their health. I found a bit of a Prohierodula picta caresheet here, and one for your Rhombodera here.

I wasn't accusing, just making sure like most things - start with the most obvious (is is turned on? type thing lol). Depending on the cool night temperatures it could have affected the tiny L2 nymphs as you mentioned. Most species can not handle 65 F (18 C) or lowers temps without affecting their health. I found a bit of a Prohierodula picta caresheet here, and one for your Rhombodera here.
I knew !, I didn't mean that (communication limits, lol). I really appreciate the good advices and the info!. Thank you very much.

"This exceptionally large mantis is named for its size and heavy build. When threatened, they can inflict a sharp snap that can draw blood. Their coloration is green to green-blue color. Although somewhat aggressive, they can be tamed and make an excellent beginner's mantis. "

(Now I see why my Rhombo behaves so rude)...

I knew !, I didn't mean that (communication limits, lol). I really appreciate the good advices and the info!. Thank you very much.

"This exceptionally large mantis is named for its size and heavy build. When threatened, they can inflict a sharp snap that can draw blood. Their coloration is green to green-blue color. Although somewhat aggressive, they can be tamed and make an excellent beginner's mantis. "

(Now I see why my Rhombo behaves so rude)...
It happens for sure, no offense taken. ;) Glad to see the care sheets helped.

It seems the larger the mantid, the more aggressive they are; however, the Rhombodera sp. are called the companion mantid (and the only species I heard ever called that). As once tamed, they act like a pet dog/cat more so than any other species - demanding your attention, wanting out to sit on your shoulder (to even watch TV), and much more. A mantid book I have says this about them...

The Giant Indonesian Shield Mantis reaches a maximum length of 3.0 in / 7.6 cm, Adults are a striking and vibrant green. This is an excellent species to keep as a companion insect.

It is very rare for there to be bad molts, but the final transition to adulthood should take place in circumstances of low humidity. Females lay generous ootheca containing as many as 300 eggs.

:lol: Yeah!.

It's interesting to know that, I do feel hopeful, let's see what happens over time. For being tamed does it refer to the mantis being handled?, or I suppose it's the whole domestication process?.

:lol: Yeah!.

It's interesting to know that, I do feel hopeful, let's see what happens over time. For being tamed does it refer to the mantis being handled?, or I suppose it's the whole domestication process?.
Exactly the more they are handled the more tame they become. Most of us get them out daily, others have them out nearly the entire time they are awake (usually sitting on them or plant on their desk), and I've read other have them living loose on potted plants inside all the time.

I found this guide to tamming them and bookmarked it quite awhile back, not sure what else is on the site but seems like a starting point. ;)

Hey this is simply great!, I hadn't found something like this until now. I'll sure try it.

I want her in my shoulder. lol .

Thanks! :chris:

Latest posts