My nymphs just had their first molt!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquaticcreature

Reaction score
I recently had my first chinese mantis ooth (purchased not bred) hatch. I managed to get about 86 nymphs. A few died for unknown reasons, but 78of them made it through their first molt with only five mismolts that needed to be culled. I am pretty proud, and i am really enjoying the challenge. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!  I don't have personal experience with hatching an ooth yet, but I have heard that the mortality rate is high in Chinese mantid nymphs, so I would say you're doing very well. :)

Congratulations!  I don't have personal experience with hatching an ooth yet, but I have heard that the mortality rate is high in Chinese mantid nymphs, so I would say you're doing very well. :)
Thanks, I've heard that too, but it was the only ooth I could find for sale at the time. I have been babying them since they hatched. I fed them every day for the first week, and misted every other day. Now I am going to move to feeding every other day, and only mist when there are no water droplets on the side. I've had a lot of hobbies, but I actually enjoy the "boring" work with this one.

Hah sounds like this is the hobby for you then!  You'll have to keep us updated on your survival rates as they continue to grow and molt...

Latest posts