My Ootheca rattle

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonMantis

Reaction score
My new eggs make a funny sound when they are turned over. I haven't been able to find anything on the internet about this so I'm asking here. A lot about rattling wings for the mantis in general but nothing Oothe related.

One of them is a bit darker at the top then the rest of it is. Is that normal? They are both Chinese Mantis if that makes any difference.

I can post pictures if needed.

zorak.jpg

Both of them rattle. I have read they can dry up and go bad. I'm beginning to wonder.

I really hate to cut it open to check and kills some babies if its good. I also don't want to waste money on FFs for the next year to discover they didn't ever hatch.

Any other options?

I don't think they are supposed to rattle. :( Possibly dried out or some srt of parasitic something-or-other may have been introduced. You might as well let it incubate, but if nothing hatches in a month or so, you might consider it a dud and cut it open to see what's rattling.

Yep, it should be solid inside, noisless...if it sounds like a morocco it may spell trouble. But as Patrick said give it go and see.

Thanks for the encouragement. I willl wait and see what happens. The seller has offered a refund or exchange if they don't hatch.

Well it isn't normal I can tell you that. Most likely they are infertile or have already hatched.

Latest posts