My Oxypilus distinctus photos!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gruby626

Reaction score
So here are some photos of my mantids:

L2:

oxypilusl2nc2.jpg

L3:

l3caj7.jpg

nakwiatku4yl2.jpg

More comming as soon as they grow :D

PS I got 4 of them ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:
So here are some differences between male and female:

Female L4:

samicalx5.jpg

Male L4:

samiecwm3.jpg

You can see that male has 8 segments on its abdomen and female has 6. On male you can see that it's wings start to develope, and the femal doesn't have it. Famale has white color on its abdomen, when the male has only brownish color ;) - those are all the differences I can see now ;) .

I think both female and male are pre-subimago - but it's only my guess.

The male is most definately subadult. You will need to inflate the female's abdomen first for me to be 100% sure, but I think she is subadult too.

Stunning little mantids :D

How big does this species reach?

She's subadult.

Females usually mature faster than males in this species, good luck with them! I"m waiting for my male to molt to adult while the female has already been adult for about a week.

She's subadult. Females usually mature faster than males in this species, good luck with them! I"m waiting for my male to molt to adult while the female has already been adult for about a week.
Cool ;) so that means males and females shed the same number of times? Because both male and female are L5 ;)

So first of my females turned adoult today ;)

Here are some pics:

samicaimago2ug6.jpg

samicaimagoya9.jpg

imagoodwlokyg1.jpg

And here a comparison with US qarter ;)

imagozmonetaik5.jpg

Now I'm waiting for my male to shed ;)

Great photos and cool looking mantids :) .

:D :D :D Im getting an ooth of this species. What did you feed them at L1/2 Hydei or Melanogaster?

Matt

CUTE! i havent kept them at L1/2 but i would strongly assume melanogaster. while the ones i had were very plucky and agressive (well, the female was), i think their sheer size would mean it would have to be melanogaster.