My poor mantid got eaten

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_duncan27_*

Ok well I raised this little guy from an ooth. Gave many of his brethren to friends after many good times and achieving the last molt I thought it would be nice to let him live out his remaining days in freedom in a bush just outside my place. There were always plenty of moths and butterflies in it so I thought food would not be an issue. I got the ooth from a local garden store so I knew he would be fine in this climate and so I didn't worry.

Well it was about 9pm (dark which is why I missed the monster in waiting) and I found a nice place to let him go. Watched him for a minute and then thought, it would be nice to take some pics. In the minutes it took me to run up to my room and get back I found the horror. :eek: There was a HUGE Lynx spider taking residence about 10 inches from where I let my little guy go. He must have climbed up a little bit and got pounced on. :(

Well I thought I have my camera, might as well take some pics.

I would have thought that too, but the lynx is pretty well camo'd in that bush and is an ambush hunter so, well... this round went to the spider. :(

I live on 49 acres of Florida wilderness, and I would say Green Lynx Spiders are some of the most awesome and successful predators on my property, if not the most successful. There is no flower, there is no shrub, there is no leaf end that does not seem to have a Green Lynx awaiting on it.

I guerilla warfare, the one who lies still and waits invariably has the advantage. If you and I both have machine guns, but I am hiding and waiting, and you are moving, you are at the disadvantage.

In this case here, the Lynx was lying in wait, camoflaged, while you placed your mantid in a spot where he was moving around, open and obvious. The spider merely struck at the opportune moment, nailing the mantid on the head, and it was "Good night Irene" after that. That Green Lynx spider didn't get that big and fat by making mistakes ...

Had the situation been in the reverse, however, and had your mantid been the wild animal poised in hiding, and had you turned your "pet" lynx spider loose right next to him, the reverse would have happened and the lynx would have been mantid food. In the wild, "who strikes first" is always the determining factor ...

Jack

PS: Here is a shot of a young Green Lynx I took the other day:

greenlynx.jpg

I have seen these things snatch orb weavers out of their webs, crab spiders out of flowers, as well as a whole host other predators out of position, turning them into "prey" too ...

I live on 49 acres of Florida wilderness, and I would say Green Lynx Spiders are some of the most awesome and successful predators on my property, if not the most successful. There is no flower, there is no shrub, there is no leaf end that does not seem to have a Green Lynx awaiting on it.I guerilla warfare, the one who lies still and waits invariably has the advantage. If you and I both have machine guns, but I am hiding and waiting, and you are moving, you are at the disadvantage.

In this case here, the Lynx was lying in wait, camoflaged, while you placed your mantid in a spot where he was moving around, open and obvious. The spider merely struck at the opportune moment, nailing the mantid on the head, and it was "Good night Irene" after that. That Green Lynx spider didn't get that big and fat by making mistakes ...

Had the situation been in the reverse, however, and had your mantid been the wild animal poised in hiding, and had you turned your "pet" lynx spider loose right next to him, the reverse would have happened and the lynx would have been mantid food. In the wild, "who strikes first" is always the determining factor ...

Jack

PS: Here is a shot of a young Green Lynx I took the other day:

greenlynx.jpg

I have seen these things snatch orb weavers out of their webs, crab spiders out of flowers, as well as a whole host other predators out of position, turning them into "prey" too ...

i see no photo

Latest posts