My rhombos mated! :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HungryGhost

Reaction score
After some frustrating and near deadly attempts my R. stalii pair has finally connected. In fact they are still connected as I type this (3 hours so far). If you have any tips/advice for incubating the ooths I'd appreciate it.

imagejpg1_zps53b32c4f.jpg

sweet! is this a species thats fertile for life once having been mated, would you be selling any oothecae if so? :3

sweet! is this a species thats fertile for life once having been mated, would you be selling any oothecae if so? :3
I don't know if they are fertile for life on one mating, if anyone knows please chime in. As I type this they are still connected after 13 hours. Not sure what I'm doing with the ooths yet.

I don't know if they are fertile for life on one mating, if anyone knows please chime in. As I type this they are still connected after 13 hours. Not sure what I'm doing with the ooths yet.
rick and others said most species are fertile for life after mating, i hope we get an answer for this particular species. wow 13 hours! haha the longest mine were connected (Parasphendale agrionina) was 9 hours (though he clung on 3 hours before mating).

rick and others said most species are fertile for life after mating, i hope we get an answer for this particular species. wow 13 hours! haha the longest mine were connected (Parasphendale agrionina) was 9 hours (though he clung on 3 hours before mating).
They're still at it 19 hours later! I feed her a cricket this morning so she doesn't turn around and eat him.

Congrats! Glad to hear he wasn't completely brainless after all, haha. :D Hope he gets off safely!
He made it alive! They were connected for 21 hours. He did get some bites and pinches to his shield during one of the attempts but he's doing fine. Battle scars.

Last edited by a moderator:
He made it alive! They were connected for 21 hours. He did get some bites and pinches to his shield during one of the attempts but he's doing fine. Battle scars.
wow! theyre finished then and hes still alive? thats good news!

I happened to check on them at the right moment. He was still on top of her but they weren't connected. When I separated them he started attacking her!
good thing you separated them then! if he was already feeling that way about it then he might have done it before you removed him and got himself eaten.

HungryGhost, I have a quick question. Do you remember how old were your mantids when they finally mated? I mean, how long have they been adults? Thanks!

The female was 1 month old but she was calling at 3 weeks. I think the key was the male, he wasn't ready until he 3 weeks old. Up until then he just ignored her. At three weeks he was obviously interested, his abdomen was pumping while she was in her enclosure. Best of luck with yours.

Latest posts