My S. Limbata was parthenogenic!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud jaguar

Reaction score
Perhaps this is old news, but I just discovered my S. Limbata was parthenogenic. A couple of years ago when I bred various types of mantids and was much more active on this forum, I recalled thinking that one of my S. Limbata females that I had hatched and raised til adulthood and never paired with a male had produced a fertile ooth. At the time I had many mantids and could not be totally certain.

Well, it happened again! A while back (a couple of months ago) I posted on here "Is this S. californica?" regarding a nymph I found. Well, that nymph did in fact turn out to be S. Limbata. She was my only mantis and I kept her indoors in a butterfly cube and she lived a long and happy life and died New Year's Eve, 2016. During her life she was always kept indoors, rarely handled, and was a good eater. Over her life she laid 3 oothecae. After her death, I kept the butterfly cube with her oothecae on plastic decorative branches inside the cube. I was working at my desk and just noticed that there are several nymphs walking around in there! 

~Roland

Latest posts