My Tarantulas

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleenicole

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a picture thread showing off my tarantulas. I got my first tarantula a year and a half ago, and I have been obsessed ever since. I currently have 8 in my collection, and a Brachypelma klaasi sling will be on its way to me next week. 

This first picture is of my first tarantula, a B. albopilosum. She was a tiny sling when I got her, and she has grown so much since then! Her name is Dandelion. The second picture is of my G. pulchripes, Savanna. I had a good look at his last molt, and I'm pretty sure it's a male. I got this species because I had read that they were generally very docile. This guy has an insane feeding response, he's always an interesting spider to watch. The third pic is of my B. emilia, Peregrine (Pip). She is very flighty and extremely fast, which is why we picked the name we did for her. She was sold as a probable female, and I was able to confirm that with her last molt. The next picture is of my little G. rosea, Jamie. This little one has taught me patience, he/she fasted for roughly 8 months before she finally decided to have her first molt with me. Next up is my little G. pulchra, Velvet. This species had been on my wishlist since I first started collecting tarantulas, and I was finally able to snag one in March of this year. The last picture I have to share right now is of my B. vagans, Cardinal. This little one was purchased on a whim at a pet store. I normally never buy from pet stores, but this little one looked like it wasn't doing so hot, so I brought it home. Since then it has molted for me and is getting nice and plump. :)  Sadly, I do not have good photos of my two favorites, my C. cyaneopubescens (Blueberry) and my little Euathlus Sp. Red (Bit). Bit is far too tiny for me to get good photos of right now with my current photography skills, and Blueberry was just rehoused after her most recent molt, so I've been letting her settle in. 

dani.jpg

savanna.jpg

pip.jpg

173436_423979_Large_hoQmCQWOmyJ.jpg

velvet.jpg

cardinal.jpg

Great Tarantulas I have 5 gramasola pulchripes and all 5 are female for some reason I have found that my G. pulchripes have really small spermatheca compared to other Tarantulas (of the same size) that I have real hard to see. Make sure the abdamon is separated from the rest of molt and try to stretch it tight on a piece of transparent plastic and shine a bright light from underneath. Also use a toothpick or something similar and rub the the area where the spermatheca should be located and watch for a flap to raise up with two little appendages. there flaps are very transparent  even when 3" DLS. I have sexed several different species that were smaller(Yet spermatheca showed up easier) with no trouble therefore when I first looked at the G. pulchripes molts My first thought was male until I did as described above and found flap containing spermatheca. If you still have the molt I would give one more look. My molts were from 3"DLS molts. The  B. emilia is gorgeous. 

Thank you for the tip! I don't have his last molt anymore, but he has been refusing food and should molt for me again soon, I'll definitely take a much closer look when he does. 

No problem 

I am used to sexing my other tarantulas at 2" to 2 1/2" DLS with no problem but the G. pulchripes seem to be less developed even up to 3" DLS mabe has something to do with there final size.

Here are a few new pictures, the first two are of my Euathlus Sp. Red (Bit). Bit hatched in November of 2015 and has been with me since December of 2015. In that time he has molted once and is actually a bit bigger than when he came to me. :)  The second two pictures are of my GBB (Blueberry).

iddy-biddy-spidah-committee2.jpg

iddy-biddy-spidah-committee1.jpg

resized1.jpg

resized2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally have a photo of my little B. klaasi, who I named Rouge (Roo). It's not a very good picture, she is small and a bit flighty! 

roo.jpg

Here are a few new pictures, the first two are of my Euathlus Sp. Red (Bit). Bit hatched in November of 2015 and has been with me since December of 2015. In that time he has molted once and is actually a bit bigger than when he came to me. :)  The second two pictures are of my GBB (Blueberry).
Very nice photos, it's amazing to see how small the Euathlus sp. start off as.
thumbs-up2.gif

I've been searching for a supplier of them, the only one I've found with them is net-bug.net, and at $30 for a 1/4" sling + $45 for shipping (flat rate) which will put them on a want list for quite a while. I hope they have better odds to making it to adulthood than very young mantids too; otherwise, I'd be better off getting a local T at a pet store (typical rose hair T). ;)

Very nice photos, it's amazing to see how small the Euathlus sp. start off as.
thumbs-up2.gif

I've been searching for a supplier of them, the only one I've found with them is net-bug.net, and at $30 for a 1/4" sling + $45 for shipping (flat rate) which will put them on a want list for quite a while. I hope they have better odds to making it to adulthood than very young mantids too; otherwise, I'd be better off getting a local T at a pet store (typical rose hair T). ;)
Thank you! :)

Yeah, $30 is a bit high. I paid $19 plus shipping (I think shipping was around $15) from Jamie's Tarantulas for my little Euathlus sp red. I have found my little guy pretty easy to care for, but it's typically recommended that beginner tarantula owners start with a juvenile instead of a sling. Since you seem to have a lot of pet care experience that may not apply to you, I started with a B. albopilosum sling and everything has gone fine. When I first got into exotic animals I started with reptiles though, so tarantulas seemed pretty simple. 

Thank you! :)

Yeah, $30 is a bit high. I paid $19 plus shipping (I think shipping was around $15) from Jamie's Tarantulas for my little Euathlus sp red. I have found my little guy pretty easy to care for, but it's typically recommended that beginner tarantula owners start with a juvenile instead of a sling. Since you seem to have a lot of pet care experience that may not apply to you, I started with a B. albopilosum sling and everything has gone fine. When I first got into exotic animals I started with reptiles though, so tarantulas seemed pretty simple. 
I found Jamie's site too, but she doesn't have any at the moment. It would nice to find some larger ones, even adults, so perhaps someone will have them in stock when I have the funds saved up. ;) I'll have to track down some more sites to see what all is available, but Jamie seems to be a top-notch seller.

My wife isn't thrilled with the idea still of me getting T's but says I can finally, my mom was similar and said, "I don't want to know or see them" after I told her about them so that is her way of saying yes regrettably. (FYI I mention my mom as we are caregivers for her, as she had a bad wreck that handicapped her, and my dad does not know (as he has arachnophobia so no sense saying anything to him lol)). What won them over was the idea of selling off slings like I have the occasional mantid nymph or ooths - little do they know that will be years down the road. :D So either way I can't complain, at least now I have a ok to get several T's even.
thumbs-up2.gif

I found Jamie's site too, but she doesn't have any at the moment. It would nice to find some larger ones, even adults, so perhaps someone will have them in stock when I have the funds saved up. ;) I'll have to track down some more sites to see what all is available, but Jamie seems to be a top-notch seller.

My wife isn't thrilled with the idea still of me getting T's but says I can finally, my mom was similar and said, "I don't want to know or see them" after I told her about them so that is her way of saying yes regrettably. (FYI I mention my mom as we are caregivers for her, as she had a bad wreck that handicapped her, and my dad does not know (as he has arachnophobia so no sense saying anything to him lol)). What won them over was the idea of selling off slings like I have the occasional mantid nymph or ooths - little do they know that will be years down the road. :D So either way I can't complain, at least now I have a ok to get several T's even.
thumbs-up2.gif
Congrats on finally getting the okay from your family! Jamie is an awesome seller, all but two of my tarantulas have come from her and they have all arrived happy and healthy. Let me know what you decide to get, I'd love to see pictures when you get your first T home! :)

Congrats on finally getting the okay from your family! Jamie is an awesome seller, all but two of my tarantulas have come from her and they have all arrived happy and healthy. Let me know what you decide to get, I'd love to see pictures when you get your first T home! :)
Thanks, I am excited about that too! :D Good to know and I'll try to order from her if she gets them back in stock soon. I will do a post with photos when the day comes. :)

Latest posts