Name your favorite species

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtuck91

Reaction score
What is your favorite species of mantis? What species do you enjoy keeping the most? What species of mantis would you recommend for a beginner? What is the species that you've put the most energy/time into? What species of mantis have you kept the most in the year 2012?

Just some question to promote friendly convo :p

At the moment I would have to say my favorite species is a tie between the Chinese Mantis and the Giant Asian Mantis.

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Favorite species in general: Toxodera beieri or Paratoxodera cornicollis

Favorite species to keep: Idolomantis diabolica
Best mantis for beginner: Creobroter gemmatus
Most energy/time: Idolomantis diabolica or Parymenopus davisoni
Most kept 2012: Hierodula majuscula

probably creobroter pictipennis or pseudocreobotra wahlbergii or blepharopsis mendica or stagmomantis californica :D
Nice selection

The pattern on Blepharopsis Mendica wings is awesome!

Favorite species in general: Toxodera beieri or Paratoxodera cornicollis

Favorite species to keep: Idolomantis diabolica

Best mantis for beginner: Creobroter gemmatus

Most energy/time: Idolomantis diabolica or Parymenopus davisoni

Most kept 2012: Hierodula majuscula
Wow! Toxodera beieri and Paratoxodera cornicollis are amazing looking.

I like the size and coloration of Hierodula majuscula

ALL OF EM :p
Haha nice!

What is your favorite species of mantis? polyspilota griffinis/polyspilota aeruginosa and Hierodula membraceana

What species do you enjoy keeping the most? i enjoy keeping the smaller speices like the miomantis,creobaters and Ephestiasula sp

What species of mantis would you recommend for a beginner? widearms or budwings..both get to a decent size,great feeders and look great(to me anyway)

What is the species that you've put the most energy/time into? my orchid mantids,ive been after them for years and was hard to find them before others snapped them up being so popular but in end managed to locate 3 which luckily i got 1.2 first time round yay

What species of mantis have you kept the most in the year 2012? budwings and creobaters,prolific things

What is your favorite species of mantis? polyspilota griffinis/polyspilota aeruginosa and Hierodula membraceana

What species do you enjoy keeping the most? i enjoy keeping the smaller speices like the miomantis,creobaters and Ephestiasula sp

What species of mantis would you recommend for a beginner? widearms or budwings..both get to a decent size,great feeders and look great(to me anyway)

What is the species that you've put the most energy/time into? my orchid mantids,ive been after them for years and was hard to find them before others snapped them up being so popular but in end managed to locate 3 which luckily i got 1.2 first time round yay

What species of mantis have you kept the most in the year 2012? budwings and creobaters,prolific things
I think the proportions of the widearm mantids are cool as heck and I friggin love what Ephestiasula sp look like

How long have you kept orchids?

Yeah further down the road after I have kept a decent amount of species and learned a thing or two I really want to look into orchids.

I think the proportions of the widearm mantids are cool as heck and I friggin love what Ephestiasula sp look like

How long have you kept orchids?
they are all adults now so id say 5-6 months ish..had my first ootheca from one female so waiting for that to hatch so can continue keeping them

I like Ghost mantids and Iris Oratorias :) Although I've personally never had a ghost mantid... Iris oratorias are really spunky :)

Favorite personality: Taumantis sigiana

Favorite look: idolomantis

Easiest to keep: ghosts

Wild caught: Tenodera

Not in culture: hooded mantis or toxodera

What is your favorite species of mantis? What species do you enjoy keeping the most? What species of mantis would you recommend for a beginner? What is the species that you've put the most energy/time into? What species of mantis have you kept the most in the year 2012?
My favorite 2 are Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii and Deroplatys lobata. Wallies because they are adorable and so much fun to watch (nobody can dance like they can!) Lobatas because they are so laid back and cool looking. They make great mantis ambassadors because they're not jumpy at all.

I highly recommend ghosts for beginners. They are unusual looking, easy to care for, and communal (although I've had some casualties lately). Creos and mios are also awesome, and I'm loving my budwings too.

This has been the year of the ghosts for me. 2 of my females were bred and they are making lots of babies. :)

Favorite personality: Taumantis sigiana

Favorite look: idolomantis

Easiest to keep: ghosts

Wild caught: Tenodera

Not in culture: hooded mantis or toxodera
Rofl, the hooded mantis so neat looking! I totally want one now.

My favorite 2 are Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii and Deroplatys lobata. Wallies because they are adorable and so much fun to watch (nobody can dance like they can!) Lobatas because they are so laid back and cool looking. They make great mantis ambassadors because they're not jumpy at all.

I highly recommend ghosts for beginners. They are unusual looking, easy to care for, and communal (although I've had some casualties lately). Creos and mios are also awesome, and I'm loving my budwings too.

This has been the year of the ghosts for me. 2 of my females were bred and they are making lots of babies. :)
Hey thanks for the advice! Budwings have one of the coolest color combinations imo, ill definitely have to look into that species. Oh and Lobatas remind me of hooded mantids but the leaf is old and crinkled instead of alive and full lol.

What is your favorite species of mantis? That I want: Budwings and widearms.

What species do you enjoy keeping the most? So far, Litaneutria sp. But the nymphs are sort of a pain. So S. limbata.

What species of mantis would you recommend for a beginner? From my experience, I. oratoria. Very easy/hardy, not too small but not really large.

What is the species that you've put the most energy/time into? S. californica. Trying to keep them alive. Now I get a second chance.

What species of mantis have you kept the most in the year 2012? M. religiosa. They were everywhere in California.

Lobatas are like the stoners of the mantis world.

favorite species in general: Hymenopus coronatus, Deroplatys lobata, violin mantis, and Popa spurca

species enjoy keeping: (so far all i have kept is) Phyllocrania paradoxa

recommended for beginners: Phyllocrania paradoxa

Most kept in 2012: Phyllocrania paradoxa

I would like to start keeping Hymenopus coronatus and Deroplatys lobata and/or Deroplatys dessicata in the near future

Latest posts