Native AZ mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyethia

Reaction score
I recently saw an add for a species of mantid that had "Arizona" in the common name. I browsed an insect book in Barnes and Noble, but didn't see anything in this range (but we all know how completed those guides are. I know I have seen linear ooths in the washes, so I know there is some species other than Chinese around here. Anyone know what? I'll keep my eyes open for ooths and adults more carefully now.

Wyethia

try looking up Pseudovates arizonae.

Harry
Well that's just the coolest little mantid! (http://bugguide.net/node/view/22607/bgimage)

I am going to have to go hunting to see these. I'm a bit surprised I've never seen one if they are around here...I'm normally pretty insect-aware. I have seen adult male and female Chinese-like mantids, but certainly nothing like those. How fun!

Wyethia

this is a texas unicorn that I got from Yen.

they are almost the same as the AZ mantid.

5598630591_9a440e0bf4_b.jpg

now while you may be aware of insects, tell me how you are going to find such a mantid on a bush or tree? mine can hide on my ficus real good and it can take me 5 mins to find her at times.

Harry

Hey Wyethia! Are you living in the Greatest State in the Union too? May I ask where? Actually, there are two manids with "Arizona" in the common name, the Arizona unicorn mantis already mentioned by Harry, and the Arizona bordered mantis, Stagmomantis limbata, the first mantis that I kept and which I found in the parking lot of a local church, hence the name "praying mantis". :D

AZ is a great state for native mantids!

Hey Wyethia! Are you living in the Greatest State in the Union too? May I ask where? Actually, there are two manids with "Arizona" in the common name, the Arizona unicorn mantis already mentioned by Harry, and the Arizona bordered mantis, Stagmomantis limbata, the first mantis that I kept and which I found in the parking lot of a local church, hence the name "praying mantis". :D

AZ is a great state for native mantids!
Ah! the Stagmomantis limbata are making the oothecae I've seen, thank you! And, now I'm rethinking what the adult mantids I've seen are since they could well be the Stagmomantis. And I hear you Harry--the unicorns would be a challenge to find in a tree. Though, I was thinking maybe they would occasionally turn up at lights at night? I've been known to hang under buggy lights :)

I'm located in Tucson. Mecca for all things buggy, spidery, or reptilian :) I have spent a lot of time over in Yuma-my ex's parents live there and I do some projects over there (I'm an environmental consultant).

So, I found a lovely 2008 post series on bug collecting in Tucson and also found grasshopper and ground mantids:

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11792&st=0&p=73406&hl=+arizona%20+collecting&fromsearch=1entry73406

Wyethia

Ah! the Stagmomantis limbata are making the oothecae I've seen, thank you! And, now I'm rethinking what the adult mantids I've seen are since they could well be the Stagmomantis. And I hear you Harry--the unicorns would be a challenge to find in a tree. Though, I was thinking maybe they would occasionally turn up at lights at night? I've been known to hang under buggy lights :)

I'm located in Tucson. Mecca for all things buggy, spidery, or reptilian :) I have spent a lot of time over in Yuma-my ex's parents live there and I do some projects over there (I'm an environmental consultant).
Wyethia --

There are a bunch of different Stagmomantis species in Arizona, such as S. limbata (yellow underwings in females), S. californica (dark bands on dorsal abdomen in both sexes), S. gracilipes (slender body). I do research in this genus, and just wrote a book chapter on them for a publisher in South America.

I see that you are an environmental consultant. I've done a little mantid collecting in AZ (near Tucson), and have been thinking about doing more. Do you know of particularly good sites to find mantids? It sounds like the unicorn Pseudovates is not that common. I'd like to look at the mating behavior of these guys, as I have done for S. limbata.

Mike Maxwell

Wyethia --

There are a bunch of different Stagmomantis species in Arizona, such as S. limbata (yellow underwings in females), S. californica (dark bands on dorsal abdomen in both sexes), S. gracilipes (slender body). I do research in this genus, and just wrote a book chapter on them for a publisher in South America.

I see that you are an environmental consultant. I've done a little mantid collecting in AZ (near Tucson), and have been thinking about doing more. Do you know of particularly good sites to find mantids? It sounds like the unicorn Pseudovates is not that common. I'd like to look at the mating behavior of these guys, as I have done for S. limbata.

Mike Maxwell
I actually work more as a planner in AZ rather than as biologist (I used to work as a biologist in CA, doing a lot of botanical surveys). I haven't had the opportuntity yet to discover good collecting areas since I just got into this hobby. I do plan to go and investigate Pantano Wash and Fort Lowell Park because I know I've seen ooths there frequently. It may be a good area to look since it has grassy areas, riparian veg down in the wash and landscaped water areas in the park itself. I will keep the list posted as I investigate different areas.

Are any of the species tied to particular habitat types?

If you just want to see interesting insects, a fun thing in the summer is to go to the Arizona Desert museum on Summer Saturdays--they set up sheets and bring in insects and have a docent to ID a lot of what is caught.

Wyethia

You should be able to find quite a few species around Tucson. I have found these around the University:

Stagmomantis limbata

S. californica

Iris oratoria

Litaneutra minor

Yersiniops sp (either Y. sophronicum or Y. solitarium)

Pseudovates arizonae has been found in several spots in the foot hills area. But that was in 1990. Most of the foothills has now been developed. I have found Bactromantis mexicana in the mountains the other side of Sahuarita.

Good luck finding Stagmomantis gracilipes! The only finding reports I have found place the species in North central AZ. Let me know if you do find this species. I've never actually seen any specimens of it.

It may be a good area to look since it has grassy areas, riparian veg down in the wash and landscaped water areas in the park itself. I will keep the list posted as I investigate different areas.

Are any of the species tied to particular habitat types?

If you just want to see interesting insects, a fun thing in the summer is to go to the Arizona Desert museum
I have the most success in riparian habitat -- good plant diversity (typically including flowering plants) that hosts good insect/prey abundance.

Where is the AZ Desert Museum? Near Tucson?

I have the most success in riparian habitat -- good plant diversity (typically including flowering plants) that hosts good insect/prey abundance.

Where is the AZ Desert Museum? Near Tucson?
It is over in West Saguaro National Park, about 20 mi west of Tucson. Though it is called a "museum", it is huge rambling piece of property that is beautifully landscaped with native species. It has animal enclosures with all the native mammals, a huge herp and arthropod collection, cafes, walking trails etc. It is a must see if you come here. You can't collect there, but boy can you see some amazing creatures.

Wyethia