Necessary coupling time

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infinity

Reaction score
I am more of a tarantula sort of person but have been keeping mantids all my life and never really bred them...

ANYWAY... I have a couple sphods going at it right in front of me now and have been at it since 10am (so 5.5 hours SO FAR!)

Perhaps Christian can answer or anyone with lots of experience with these guys - how long does copulation actually take? - I mean does a mantid copulate and then 'female guard' for the next 10 hours or however long it takes... or is the WHOLE time him passing her semen.

Just wondering because although she is extremely well fed and won't take anymore, she's really aggressive (unlike the other 3 ladies) -and not too keen on leaving them overnight

When he removes himself from her back he is done. They can take hours and sometimes days. For that species once they disconnect you can remove him as he might sit on her back for awhile. If you're worried about him becoming a snack you can let them free roam in a closed off room. That way when he flies away he has plenty of space. I'd say you have at least another five hours or so to go. Some say the passing of sperm takes about 30 mins but I don't recommend seperate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would deffinetly not remove him. Let him finish what he has started. As Rick said, he will remove himself when he is finished. You also dont want to chance hurting them while trying to pry him off prematurley. If she is well fed there is less of a chance she will eat him.

Latest posts