Need an Honest Opinion

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's definitely not one sided Alex, it's good that you realise you're being irritating or whatever, through that realisation comes your answer, should I post or should I keep quiet? (even if it's sometime relevant to the thread)

As for people who cannot deal with irritating kids, then that's a different problem altogether. How I deal with irritants is simple, ignore them (even if the irritant is spamming my thread, cause he'll shut up eventually).

And here's something I can share with you, if your goal is solely to be well liked and respected, you'll never achieve it, cause it's like they say, "you can't get respect if you don't give it." If you cannot control yourself and say things like the bulb issue on Krus's thread, that itself is disrespect. Cause seriously you gotta know if a topic is serious or not man. Anyways that's all I have for now. It's ok, I shall respect you cause you got the balls to ask serious people what they think of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Phil, you're a walking encyclopedia I must say. I'm Muslim myself. Extremists, radicals and lunatics don't speak for Islam or any other religion for that matter.

Alex, as Sufistic said, I am surprised that you started this thread. Most people don't even have the nerve to ask others what they are doing to annoy them. I give you props for that. :D Although I don't remember if I was annoying when I first joined about four years ago (I was about your age when I joined, too long to remember) I'm sure I was. :lol: If your goal is to become respected among the members here, learning to respect others comes first. Make sure you only give your insight when you know what your actually talking about, IE from experience. Also, try to cut down on the spamming, this can get on the nerves of other too. Like I said, I'm sure I did pretty much everything your doing when I was your age (don't we all lol), but I quickly caught on and have earned my respect here. I'm always making mistakes (here an in everyday life) but when you realize, admit, and learn from your mistakes you will begin to earn the respect of others. Keep what I said it mind, and I'm sure things will be looking better for you. :D

Alex, as Sufistic said, I am surprised that you started this thread. Most people don't even have the nerve to ask others what they are doing to annoy them. I give you props for that. :D Although I don't remember if I was annoying when I first joined about four years ago (I was about your age when I joined, too long to remember) I'm sure I was. :lol: If your goal is to become respected among the members here, learning to respect others comes first. Make sure you only give your insight when you know what your actually talking about, IE from experience. Also, try to cut down on the spamming, this can get on the nerves of other too. Like I said, I'm sure I did pretty much everything your doing when I was your age (don't we all lol), but I quickly caught on and have earned my respect here. I'm always making mistakes (here an in everyday life) but when you realize, admit, and learn from your mistakes you will begin to earn the respect of others. Keep what I said it mind, and I'm sure things will be looking better for you. :D
I agree much with what Andrew (and many others have said). Respect is earned, as is being well liked... and it comes from what you say and how you act. You're a smart kid; but you need to learn that you don't know it all, and are not experienced enough, nor mature enough, to give proper advice on every aspect of mantis keeping that you think you may know. Thinking and acting like you're an expert, giving improper and many times even harmful advice, and spamming the board and members with numerous frivolous posts will not win you friends or respect.

Post MUCH less, and really consider each post you make... is it relevant? Is the information correct? Are you sure? Will your post really help someone, or are you just repeating what others have already said, or is it off topic or doesn't truly answer the question? Are you just posting to be heard, no matter what you say?

Read more to learn from others, let time give you more experience raising mantids, and try not to think you know it all.

I hope you are not offended by what little I said Phil. I feel that people in general are overmedicated, children included. I don't think it is possible to "diagnose" someone based on internet postings.
Though we don't always agree Rick (how boring that would be!) I don't remember ever being offended by anything you had to say, and this is no exception.

For me, if someone is on meds and showing side effects that are worse than the illness they were meant to relieve, then they are either overmedicated or on the wrong meds. If they have a disorder, either physical or mental/emotional that is known to respond to medications and they haven't tried them, then they should.

I'll let you in on a trade secret, Rick. A professional can often accurately diagnose a patient in DSM terms, within half an hour. The skill comes when you try to cure the problem. Medication abuse, and I don't just mean drugs of addiction, is another issue. In a famouse case, a company set up a machine that dispensed free Tylenol. Some workers took so much of the free drug that they developed kidney damage.

Poor Alex! I don't want to talk about you behind yr back, as it were. Rick has made the common-sense suggestion that it is impossible to "diagnose" someone over the internet, but that isn't necessarily true. Do you remember sending a number of us messages that were just jumbles of letters, or when you send the same message three times in three miunutes?? Do you remember going to some effort to stir up friction here between a moth breeder and a member of the forum? Do you remember saying that you started threads to see the red (popular topic) flag go up? These behaviors, rather than simply your ability to irritate (though at yr high level of accomplishment, that is significant too) are diagnostic of a condition that you may have had diagnosed or not. I only mentioned it in the first place to point out that you have a problem that will not simply go away by committing yourself to "good behavior". I, foolishly in retrospect, had thought that the problem that you experience was generally well known by now, but I was mistaken and shall not raise the issue again.

To get a clearer understanding of your issue, though, you may want to try the following test. If I am right, your interest in mantids differs from that of say, ABbuggin, Idolomantis or Morpheus UK in not just degree, but kind, in that you are driven (i.e. unable to control it). If I am right, you will be unable to stop posting or messaging on or even viewing the forum for a week. If I am wrong (yay! you would get to prove all that psych stuff -- or at least my version of it -- to be rubbish!) you will be able to do so. Want to give it a try? :D

I want to add something on Kat's post; If you want to be of help on a question you don't know the answerr of but you can't resist to help, try finding an ol thread on that subject.

And now about the overmedication..

Seriously Rick's right if i hadn't had a free will i'd have medicines for 30 diffrent things already.

I only take medication against blood cloths and vitamins now.

But really they try to give me pills for everything.

I want to add something on Kat's post; If you want to be of help on a question you don't know the answerr of but you can't resist to help, try finding an ol thread on that subject.And now about the overmedication..

Seriously Rick's right if i hadn't had a free will i'd have medicines for 30 diffrent things already.

I only take medication against blood cloths and vitamins now.

But really they try to give me pills for everything.
Wow, Idolo! I can only think of one common complaint , off the top of my head, that would cause a teen to be on anticoagulants! And you are non-compliant with all other meds?

Wow again! I don't think (hope) that that is quite what Rick meant!

I still think the main problem is the age. I could only imagine what I would have posted had there been internet when I was a kid.

Wow, Idolo! I can only think of one common complaint , off the top of my head, that would cause a teen to be on anticoagulants! And you are non-compliant with all other meds?Wow again! I don't think (hope) that that is quite what Rick meant!
Phil, the reason why I take those things is because I got a screwed heart, they made a fake vein around it but it can't flow trough if it's too thick.

But they give pills for other stuff too.

Or try to.

If that person who you had a argument with was me then lol.And i thought it over, but really whats scary about Islamic radicalists? the Qu'ran teaches them how hard to beat their wives, and how boys are for pleasure and girls are for procreation, also the whole wanting to destroy america and trying to bomb planes is not even a threat, their last attempt was a fail I doubt they will ever try again. COME ON! open your damn eyes
That person is not you.

Not all muslims are extremists and not all christians are fundementalists and not all jews are zionists etc

Infact all holy books contain very shocking things (I wont list them hear) these phrases are best left ignored. They where added thare when the holy books were being written or edited if you preffer for the advantage of the religous leaders. Most succesful religons dispise killing as stated in the ten commandments and the Islamic holy book.

agent A, how do your parents feel on your behavior/ issues? Do they notice? Have you spoken with them about your wanting to change said behavors? I know it can be really difficult to talk with your parents, so do you have someone with whom(who?) you can speak with?

That person is not you.Not all muslims are extremists and not all christians are fundementalists and not all jews are zionists etc

Infact all holy books contain very shocking things (I wont list them hear) these phrases are best left ignored. They where added thare when the holy books were being written or edited if you preffer for the advantage of the religous leaders. Most succesful religons dispise killing as stated in the ten commandments and the Islamic holy book.
all holy books..... please specify, or else its a useless argument.

And i never said all muslims are extremists, but if you look at terroism most of them are muslim, like the recent underwear bomber. In other posts you say that they are domestic terroists, but what religion do you think they follow?

Phil, the reason why I take those things is because I got a screwed heart, they made a fake vein around it but it can't flow trough if it's too thick.But they give pills for other stuff too.

Or try to.
Yeah, I reckoned that it had to be a congenital heart defect of some kind. It's great that you got the angioplasty so young, but it is very sad that you needed it alt all. Take care of yourself, kid. If yr rents seem overprotective, it's because they don't want to lose you.

Alex,

I commend you for asking this question openly. :) I've tried to mention what bothers me (and what I think will bother others)...as they appear. Since you are aware of the issue, and now that I understand you are working on this...I will be nicer to you, and limit the negative/sarcastic/mean comments toward you.

That doesn't mean I won't ask to have your posting privileges revoked if you get out of line again, but I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.

My list of issues:

1. Spamming PMs and Comments - and I didn't even know how extensive this was. It seems you have bothered way more members than I initially thought!

2. Bad/unfounded advice - Stop giving advice about issues that you have little to no experience with.

3. Excessive posting - That's a lot more subjective, but it is one of the things I think you need to work on.

4. Answering your own questions - Why post a question, argue about the suggestions from others, and conclude that you know best? I don't see the point! :lol:

5. Arguing with people who know better. This starts with the 'bad advice' you've given...and then you argue when you're corrected by people who *actually* have relevant experience!

6. Complaining about other's commitments, when you have trouble following through with your own.

Like this:

Updates almost everyday. Last update was 1/16/10 at 8:42 am!
I don't read or check your website, but it's 11 days later, and that is not 'almost every day'

To top that, I remember you complaining that Yen didn't update his often enough...that's just ridiculous!

Is that clear enough? Please reply if you need *any* clarification on anything I've said above.

Alex,I commend you for asking this question openly. :) I've tried to mention what bothers me (and what I think will bother others)...as they appear. Since you are aware of the issue, and now that I understand you are working on this...I will be nicer to you, and limit the negative/sarcastic/mean comments toward you.

That doesn't mean I won't ask to have your posting privileges revoked if you get out of line again, but I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.

My list of issues:

1. Spamming PMs and Comments - and I didn't even know how extensive this was. It seems you have bothered way more members than I initially thought!

2. Bad/unfounded advice - Stop giving advice about issues that you have little to no experience with.

3. Excessive posting - That's a lot more subjective, but it is one of the things I think you need to work on.

4. Answering your own questions - Why post a question, argue about the suggestions from others, and conclude that you know best? I don't see the point! :lol:

5. Arguing with people who know better. This starts with the 'bad advice' you've given...and then you argue when you're corrected by people who *actually* have relevant experience!

6. Complaining about other's commitments, when you have trouble following through with your own.

Like this:

I don't read or check your website, but it's 11 days later, and that is not 'almost every day'

To top that, I remember you complaining that Yen didn't update his often enough...that's just ridiculous!

Is that clear enough? Please reply if you need *any* clarification on anything I've said above.
I see, so those are 6 things that I do that drives people crazy. I'm gonna remove the updates thing from my sig, so that isn't a problem anymore, and I'll work on the other 5 things. ;) thanks for the advice, I think you hit the nail on the head!

all holy books..... please specify, or else its a useless argument. And i never said all muslims are extremists, but if you look at terroism most of them are muslim, like the recent underwear bomber. In other posts you say that they are domestic terroists, but what religion do you think they follow?
Any religon can breed terrorists not just Islam, The sarin gas attack of Tokyo was of a demented cult. The Oklahoma city bombing was done by a christian (although it was more for a so called militia). Right now the middle east is having a lot of problems ( ocupation by the US and the solviets, overpopulation due to reduced womans rights). Any place that is as messed up as the middle east is a breeding ground for terrorists. All the terrorists come from places like Russia, Columbia, Somolia, and even the US as it has lots of crime. If the US had less police it will start to look like Russia.

By holy books I ment the Quain, the Bible, the Old Testement etc

I've lived in Yemen for about year, been to Saudi, UAE and Syria. It's really not that bad. Try not to believe whatever you see on TV. Yeah I do see nutcases once in a while, but I see them in Singapore too. It's more of a cultural thing than it is religion really.

Ok back on track

If you have a doubt about a peice of information look it up or dont post it. If half the sources say somthing and the other half says another thing dont post it ,e.g, firebelly toads poisoning other occupents.

Latest posts