Need Camera lens advice!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Mantid

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking at some macro lens for a Canon EOS 10D 6.3 MP digital SLR camera. Need some thoughts on them....

I am looking at some Sigma lens...

The lens is a Sigma f3.5-5.628-200 AF zoom with a 62-mm filter ring.

the other is a Sigma 75-210mm with macro. 1:3.5-4.5 zoom.

I'm going into cheap mode, so I am wondering if either of these would be appropriate for macro photography.

Thanks all,

Mr. Mantid

Any lenses can be used for macro...if you also get some close-up lenses that mount on the front filter ring. Or use reversing rings with two lenses. What lens do you currently have? What is your budget?

Personally, I find it easier to recommend one of the sigma macros like the 50/2.8 or 105/2.8. The 50mm can be found on occasion for around $100-$150.

There are also other inexpensive options involving using adapters to mount older manual focus/film camera lenses like Olympus OM. An OM 50/3.5 can be had for $50 or so on ebay and the OM-EOS adapters can be bought for about $15.

I have literally nothing. I am looking at the Canon 10d, as it has had a major price drop since its first release. I do not have any lens at all.

Just nabbed a used Canon 10D 6.3 MP digital SLR camera with a Sigma f3.5-5.628-200 AF zoom with a 62-mm filter ring, all for $200.00. I think I got a good deal.

Nice, now get snapping. Get the 50mm 1.8 for around $100 and some Kenko extension tubes, that combo will let you do macro on the cheap. If you have more money, get the 100mm macro.

Canon also makes a 85mm macro not sure of ts specs, but its a great macro lens. i had a chance to use one for a day on a not so great canon camera. great sharp pics, i almost switched to canon just for the lens...

Good price on the 50mm, you might be able to get the kenkos cheaper, or maybe see if you can get them used.
I purchased them already, but I think a budget of $450.00 is pretty good for a camera body, two different lens,nsome extension tubes and a reverse adapter. Now all I have to do is wait for the mail. :(

Cheers,

Mr. Mantid

Last edited by a moderator:
I just grabbed a cannon 2.8 60mm macro lens, should have it by tommorow. Macro photography is very fun!

Latest posts