Need good and easy recepie for fruite fly food!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gruby626

Reaction score
So I need a good recepie, taht will hold some time, and the flies (mainly D.hydei) will live on it for a long time, healthy ;)

I'm tired of buying it all the time, and I would like to make my own ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I will try that, but maybe some other recepies? I would like to check out as much as possible to find out the best one ;)

OK I will try that, but maybe some other recepies? I would like to check out as much as possible to find out the best one ;)
that one is the best..potato mix is fine i use it but its not as good as the other one so i been reading..soon as my masa turns up il be trying it for sure!..the proof is in the thread..read how many people are having great results with it.

The only thing i dont like about using a 32 oz ctnr is that its hard to get flies out safely without getting them everywhere and thet medium falls out when it gets older. any tips

The only thing i dont like about using a 32 oz ctnr is that its hard to get flies out safely without getting them everywhere and thet medium falls out when it gets older. any tips
Cut a small hole in the lid and plug it up with styrofoam. When you need flies, take the styrofoam out and the flies will crawl out of the hole.

i think he said the mix is that thick it doesnt run out.

The commercially made stuff is the way to go. It has mold inhibitor added in. I get mine from www.carolina.com

I use the masa recipe in the forum thread, and if you use some sort of spoon and force it down into water bottles and then plug them with some sponge you cut up, you can get the flies out easier than you can with the huge 32 ounce cup lids. Only problem is it takes a while to force the stuff down into the water bottle to make it fall and pile up in the bottom and you lose some on the inside top edges of the bottle as it smears there and the remnant dries out there. What is really fun is you get to pick which color you want your medium to be, as you add the food coloring drops as suggested in the thread. I got a 4 pack of food coloring bottles and it came with red, green, yellow, and blue coloring bottles, and the back of the package tells me how to make certain colors. For instance, I made two cultures a couple of days ago a Grape color by mixing blue and red food coloring evenly. I make sure I don't use too many drops of coloring as the thread says if you use too much, the flies don't like it as much.

I use the masa recipe in the forum thread, and if you use some sort of spoon and force it down into water bottles and then plug them with some sponge you cut up, you can get the flies out easier than you can with the huge 32 ounce cup lids. Only problem is it takes a while to force the stuff down into the water bottle to make it fall and pile up in the bottom and you lose some on the inside top edges of the bottle as it smears there and the remnant dries out there. What is really fun is you get to pick which color you want your medium to be, as you add the food coloring drops as suggested in the thread. I got a 4 pack of food coloring bottles and it came with red, green, yellow, and blue coloring bottles, and the back of the package tells me how to make certain colors. For instance, I made two cultures a couple of days ago a Grape color by mixing blue and red food coloring evenly. I make sure I don't use too many drops of coloring as the thread says if you use too much, the flies don't like it as much.
Water bottles! I used a funnel with a chopstick and spoon. With the proper sized funnel, I lose very little on the side of the bottle. When you finally have a pile down there, thump the bottle a few times and everything will settle.

i use flightless..i open my container and pour a load in to another container..i quickly put the lid on the culture then i tap the container so the fruit flys dont climb out..i then get a plastic tube and scoop them up in the corner,after tapping the container they seem to loose there footing and u can tap 100s in to the corner..then just scopp em up and screw the lid on..next time i do it il get some pics,,i loose none!flightless and wingless are the way to go.