Need help breeding...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I've had a few of those with the critter kreeper screenings... I mean you can always leave em, but what I do is when they harden, I start to slowly and gently pry something behind there. Eventually I get it lose enough and it pops right off. So far from what I can tell I have not damaged any of mine. Of course I'll find out soon lol! But from physical appearance they look fine. I think a 64 oz will definitely be fine for a european. Mine have laid an ooth in a 24 oz container. I've also read on this forum that a few people have had their mantids lay ooths in a bare container. I guess it just depends on personal experience and what you think is suffice :)

Oh and as for the ooth it really depends. I had one that laid an ooth soon after mating, about 4 hours after. But it really depends on I guess how much they've eaten (Idk much I'd like a conformation on this lol). You can definitely expect one by 3-4 weeks. That's what I've heard anyway. Typically they'll lay 4 ooths, so if it takes em about 3 months or so to get to adult, and they live from spring (lets be generous and say march) to (lets be generous again and say late november) thats 8 months. If it takes about 3 months to get to adult (i guess it could be more lol) they have 5 months left in the season (and that's being very generous in terms of how long they'll actually live). So they have 5 months to lay ooths, and on average they lay 4-5 ooths each. So i guess it could be around an ooth a month... so I guess you really can expect one in under a month or so. As for the march-nov thing, since you're in san fran I'm sure their life expectancy is slightly longer than that of those here in CO. We're expecting snow this weekend so i'm sure alot will be wiped out :( . As mentioned before I dont know much about mantids, so I'm not sure if this is even close to being accurate, but it's just an attempt :p , and as said I was being very generous in terms of when most snows/frosts occur, at least for here in CO.

Anyway, I hope this kinda helps :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've had a few of those with the critter kreeper screenings... I mean you can always leave em, but what I do is when they harden, I start to slowly and gently pry something behind there. Eventually I get it lose enough and it pops right off.
I remember prying a gsefm ooth out of a cage with a screwdriver.