need help with my ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tauras2002

Reaction score
Hello about few weeks ago i bought madagascar marbled mantis ooth. And this or next week its time for them to hatch but this week i saw little holes and black dots on the ooth. What are they ? Are they good or are they bad ? Are those are just eggs ?

Take a nice photo as it's hard to tell without seeing it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
here ya go Jgod

20160321_121529[1].jpg

20160321_121628[1].jpg

I guess this is the thread you are responding to then, as you have made a exact duplicate message in the Breeding and Nymph Care section too.

From what you have circled that simply appears to be normal, and perhaps as you are waiting just noticed it. Most likely just an air-bubble or something from the area got embedded when the mother was laying the ooth. As you can see from the first two photos you attached as well, there are a few other places that look the same on either end of the ooth too.

As the ooths are made naturally they are not perfect and have imperfections, as you can see from looking at any ooth. Nothing to worry about.

I see nothing wrong.

In the future please don't post the same topic in two different sections of the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks fine to me as well, I've noticed a lot of the ooths I've hatched usually darken a bit before actually opening. 

Looks fine to me as well, I've noticed a lot of the ooths I've hatched usually darken a bit before actually opening. 
That is a interesting observation, and I wonder if it is species specific. I'll have to watch my incubating ooths to see if they do as well. With 4 different mantid species, and 21 ooths total, I'm bound to see it. ;)

That is a interesting observation, and I wonder if it is species specific. I'll have to watch my incubating ooths to see if they do as well. With 4 different mantid species, and 21 ooths total, I'm bound to see it. ;)
Wow you have 21 ooth right now that's insane be prepared for an army of nymphs lol :)  

Wow you have 21 ooth right now that's insane be prepared for an army of nymphs lol :)  
I've done more ooths before. ;) It can get a bit hectic, but with 20 of the ooths being native species, most will be used to populate my area. Some of course will be kept as pets, and for breeding purposes as I plan to make the species more available (seems in some native areas they are dying out), with a few offered for sale so others can reestablish the Carolina species in their area too, as I have sold many ooths for that purpose already.

I prefer to gather the ooths and adult females from outdoors before winter - allowing the adults to live longer lives, and they produce more ooths. That allows allow me to breed them too, ensuring their ooths are fertile. Also it prevents the common local parasitic wasps from destroying so many eggs in the ooths, and other dangers. Basically it is a just a small scale attempt at preserving and boosting the mantids in my area. :D

Awesome 

I've done more ooths before. ;) It can get a bit hectic, but with 20 of the ooths being native species, most will be used to populate my area. Some of course will be kept as pets, and for breeding purposes as I plan to make the species more available (seems in some native areas they are dying out), with a few offered for sale so others can reestablish the Carolina species in their area too, as I have sold many ooths for that purpose already.

I prefer to gather the ooths and adult females from outdoors before winter - allowing the adults to live longer lives, and they produce more ooths. That allows allow me to breed them too, ensuring their ooths are fertile. Also it prevents the common local parasitic wasps from destroying so many eggs in the ooths, and other dangers. Basically it is a just a small scale attempt at preserving and boosting the mantids in my area. :D

"...I prefer to gather the ooths and adult females from outdoors before winter - allowing the adults to live longer lives, and they produce more ooths. That allows allow me to breed them too, ensuring their ooths are fertile. Also it prevents the common local parasitic wasps from destroying so many eggs in the ooths, and other dangers. Basically it is a just a small scale attempt at preserving and boosting the mantids in my area."
I also do this, however when I do harvest the wild natives ooths, I typically do it during winter/end of winter as it's way easier for me to spot them. :)

Latest posts