Need I.D. Please

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inuyasha78

Reaction score
CameraZOOM-20120629235512113.jpgFound this mantis at work while I was working on a car. It is really small about the size of one of those yellow wasps. Never thought I would find one of this in Chicago,Illinois. all I see are Chinese mantis, Tenodera Sinesis.

That's definitely not a mantid. It's a mantidfly! :) You are super lucky to have found one of these. I'm not sure how to care for them - try treating it like a real mantid.

Oh my! I live a few hours away from you. maybe I should go out looking for these!

they are not the same species as a mantis and they lay eggs on spiders
Mantii are in the order Mantodea so I would say not a mantis but I guess that is fine. I have read that they lay their eggs not on a spider and when the babys hatch they need to find a spider's egg case soon so they can eat and many die trying to find a spider's egg case.

You are so lucky. They dont live long in captivity so enjoy him while you can. The larvae eat spider eggs in the spider egg sack. The adults eat baby spiders (I guess fruit flies)

These are really cool because they're not really related very closely to Mantids. It's an awesome example of convergent Evolution. I've only found one of these, it looked like a wasp in color and segmentation. It was really cool to observe for a few days.

Does anyone have a picture of the larvae?

Latest posts