Need Pro to tell me if this Ootheca will be fine due to I see some Mold..

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been hatching my ooths directly in the same type of container. As stated...Once hatched in the large container you are DONE! No transfers, no senseless frenzied deaths due to overcrowding, and LOTS of drop room for the babies. Fill it with lots of sticks which increases the amount of space the nymphs will have. It's a no-brainer for me. I've BEEN THERE and DONE THAT. Not again.

I'm telling you 100-150 nymphs in a 32 oz deli cup is WAY too many. Do what you want. I'm just telling you it's a bad idea. You will feel bad you did it when you see how full that cup gets.

I was suggesting you incubate in the large container, not the other way around!

Every time you open the lid on the big container you will have a flood of nymphs rushing out so it's good you put the extra hole near the top for feeding. But I have no idea how you will clean the enclosure without removing all the nymphs. Hope you have ventilation holes cut. Hard to tell from the photo.
I do have 2 extra Vent hole I cut here #1

155owi1.jpg

#2 other side top

2zoi7bb.jpg

here is a Hole for Feeding FF's

sywnwi.jpg

Ya I'll lesson to the Pro's .. Cause you guys already went through what I'm ATM . My problem is ..... how the heck I'm going to clean this Container lol if i open the top lead all the baby will Jump in my Face.............. and Is my venting too little do i need more hole's on the container ??? any advice If needed i''ll cut more hole and Glue gun it with mesh .,

P.S. I have tested the Mesh FF's can't get out .

Last edited by a moderator:
Less of a chance if they are occupied on sticks inside. :lol: There will be some that love the top, but they will spread out if given the space and sticks.

Hey, maybe use the lid as the bottom. Would make cleaning easy but would be a challenge reaching nymphs at the "top". Or maybe mount the enclosure on its side. Would give a lot more hang space and make getting in to clean or whatever much easier. I think that's actually a really good idea. They don't need height as much as width. Face your blue cap upward for feeding. ;)

And patrickfraser is absolutely right. Adding sticks will make it a much nicer home for them. When I've got a ton of nymphs I like to use branches with clumps of excelsior instead of leaves. Gives them lots of extra surface area to climb on. They will love the vines you have in there too.

Your venting should be OK but fruit flies will get through that screen for sure.

Thx for all the great feed back .. My final decision is ya but it down on the side so more space ... but this container is round lol need to find something so it wont roll around .....

I use sticks with raffia. It's like a mantis highway. It's fun to see how far they can jump when given the room. So much more entertaining with all the interactions. LOTS of stand-offs with nobody yielding. One will finally just turn around or jump away,

Albert Chang. I see that in your original post you blanked out your adress, which is quite apropriate if you value yr privacy highly.. You left the sender's adress open for everyone to see, however. I suggest that you remove the pic and treat the sender with the same respect that you show yourself before reposting it.

Yeah that container is better than the original. You really don't want to have to transfer all those nymphs. With mantids like that I keep them all together until I get down to about 10 or so or whatever number you feel you can manage.

Albert Chang. I see that in your original post you blanked out your adress, which is quite apropriate if you value yr privacy highly.. You left the sender's adress open for everyone to see, however. I suggest that you remove the pic and treat the sender with the same respect that you show yourself before reposting it.
will do ...... sender Pic removed .. will do so in the future if i post was my bad...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that container is better than the original. You really don't want to have to transfer all those nymphs. With mantids like that I keep them all together until I get down to about 10 or so or whatever number you feel you can manage.
Ya i'll get down to like 40-50 sell some and give to my family and friends to spread the Mantis Love in Canada ..... No one around me have mantis so Lonely....

Please take Henry's advice (Precarious), we all want your nymphs to make it nicely.

Latest posts