Need some general help with my first steps

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itzjustjeff

Reaction score
So after doing some research, I've decided I want to house something in the Sphodromantis genus. I was hoping to get some feedback into what I want to setup and advice on how to work out the kinks with my setup. First off, I want to have a single communal housing tank (if possible?) I have 32oz solo deli containers for later instars but generally, for the majority of their lives, I would like to keep the mantis in one habitat.

Would this be a good idea? If not, in which instar should I consider separating them? For those of you who did not know I'm a planted fish tank enthusiast...so I was hoping I could use a fish tank I had lying around as a habitat for my mantises. I understand that this can be bad for ventilation which is why I want to see what you guys have to say. The tank that I am mentioning is a Mr. Aqua 11.4 gallon tank. The dimensions are 19x12x12 inches. It looks like this:

AZ1119-2.jpg

I bought Exo-Terra Plantation soil for the substrate, and a small Zoomed Repti-Therm undertank heater along with a heat resistant screen top for a cover. I plan on filling it with small manzanita branches to have mini trees. It would look something like this, maybe with starmoss or something similar

pinheiro%20manso%20final.jpg

But yea, like I said, would I be able to make a communal habitat out of this genus? I am also concerned about whether the heat pad would provide enough heat to keep nymphs (assuming I am getting them at that stage) healthy and active. My apartment in Northridge is generally pretty cold since it has bad insulation. It has cement walls and thin windows. I have some Ott-lites that I used to use to grow plants too (13w ea), which are 6500k in spectrum I believe, if that helps maintain warmth. I would say my apartment is generally around 70 degrees.

Secondly, If I were to keep mantises in this tank would humidity be a big problem since this tank has now side air flow? I would not wanting to have to constantly battle with mold or foggy views of my tank. I understand that misting is important especially during the first instars of their life; but given the fact that I am usually on campus more than I am at home, I don't want them to be suffering too much. Are sponges or small water dishes safe in this case?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions; I'm just really excited to start something different from my usual fish tanks! :) As far as feeding goes...my girlfriend does not share the same enthusiasm. Therefore, I'm wondering if I can get away with just feeding my mantises 1-2 different foods. I know that a variety of foods means healthier mantis, but I'm stepping on thin ice here...I was thinking of starting off with D. Hydei and then, when they're big enough, exclusively crickets and maybe the occasional nutrient rich silkworm?! If not, what else can I feed them besides crickets -- speaking of which, is there a site/store that has a healthy and steady supply of crickets or (other?)

Two more weeks of finals before everything begins!...I should get back to studying.

You will not be able to keep any species in that genus together. There are very few mantids that can be kept together. Generally speaking, mantids should be kept seperate. You can try to keep nymphs in a large enclosure and you may be able to keep a few if it's large enough to reduce encounters with one another. Your enlcosure idea is fine, however large enclosures do not work well for small nymphs unless you dump in a lot of extra food. Generally, nymphs are kept in 32 oz insect cups until they get older. An aquarium works just fine with a screen lid for most species. Also, most species do fine at normal room temperatures so heating is not necessary. Beautiful tank by the way!

i would say instead of shrodos do ghosts. ghosts are communal and can be kept in large groups easily. for a tank that size i would get 15. as for feeding, flies are the way to go.

Thanks guys -- I was looking into ghosts and violins? and know they are more communal but i like the look of shrodos. I guess I'll just have to house them separately!

Try ghosts, Thesprotia graminis, or creos. IF you want Thesprotia graminis please message me. I could send you a couple, or with a higher priced offer, an entire ootheca, which is bound to hatch in about 2 weeks! :) .

Try ghosts, Thesprotia graminis, or creos. IF you want Thesprotia graminis please message me. I could send you a couple, or with a higher priced offer, an entire ootheca, which is bound to hatch in about 2 weeks! :) .
I dont know if I'm ready for an entire ootheca haha. Are creos an easy starter species? Im guessing all the ones you listed are somewhat communal?

My vote is for Oxyopsis gracilis if you want something cute and communal.
Do you know to what extent they'd be communal? Say I were to always keep food in there with them and made sure there were a lot of branches for the individual mantises to perch, would that enable me to keep them all in one cage until far later instars?

Creos are easy, but imo they eat each other whenever the chance is there , I always thinking to myself " Self, if you would of just fed them ten seconds sooner, they would not be munching on their neighbors" ! yep that s what I say a lot.

on another note, I use the lights that fit most aquariums, very nice I must say, I hot glue a fiberglass screen to the back side, and that holds it in place while the light hood also holds it down, this gives them room to move away from the heat and move near it if cold. I make the screen 2" bigger all around, this is so it is long enough to be held down, also in the front, I cut an X in the 2" overhang, just enough so my fly bottle fits in the hole, so when I feed, I just lift the lid enough to put bottle thru the hole and feed.

You will not be able to keep any species in that genus together. There are very few mantids that can be kept together. Generally speaking, mantids should be kept seperate. You can try to keep nymphs in a large enclosure and you may be able to keep a few if it's large enough to reduce encounters with one another. Your enlcosure idea is fine, however large enclosures do not work well for small nymphs unless you dump in a lot of extra food. Generally, nymphs are kept in 32 oz insect cups until they get older. An aquarium works just fine with a screen lid for most species. Also, most species do fine at normal room temperatures so heating is not necessary. Beautiful tank by the way!
I agree with what Rick has stated here. Another thing to consider is that mantids congregate at the top of any enclosure so using aquariums can be very awkward since your only opening is the top and it's usually a screen in one piece. When you lift the screen you're also usually lifting all the inhabitants and releasing any flying food.

A good alternative is the Exo-Terra or Zoo-Med tanks that open in the front. That way you have screen up top but another way in.

finished.jpg

06v.jpg

I attempted to raise Sphodromantis viridis communally. Started with 16. By the time they were L4 they were down to 7. By L5 I was down to 3 so I gave in and separated. You can expect the same from any Sphodromantis. Very territorial and aggressive. But I would suggest viridis if you are looking into Sphodromantis. Slightly larger than sp. (Blue Flash) and way more friendly. I really like their personality. I have an ooth that should hatch soon so they will be available.

Communal species I've kept:

Phyllocrania paradoxa (Ghosts)

Gongylus gongylodes (Violins)

Pseudoharpax Virescens (Gambian Spotted-Eye Flower Mantis)

Oxyopsis gracilis (South American Green Mantis)

Idolomantis diabolica

Humbertiella ceylonica (Indian Bark Mantis)

Phyllovates chlorophaea (Texas Unicorn Mantis)

Heterochaeta sp.

Sinomantis denticulata (Glass Mantis)

Sibylla pretiosa

With Ghosts, Oxys, and Unicorns you do best to separate the sexes at pre-sub as the females eat like crazy and take down a male now and then.

With Ghosts, Oxys, and Unicorns you do best to separate the sexes at pre-sub as the females eat like crazy and take down a male now and then.
I concur. All I have left are female oxys. I didn't separate and now I regret it. One female was mated and I have found a few nymphs, but which female was it? Who knows. I hope I get a pair to mate to continue with this species.

A good alternative is the Exo-Terra or Zoo-Med tanks that open in the front. That way you have screen up top but another way in.

finished.jpg
I'd love to get a setup meant mainly for mantids...but since I still have a year left of college, which comes with a ridiculous amount of rent for the apartments nearby, I just dont have enough hours in the day to afford anything new right now. Therefore I am trying to recycle what I can from my other hobby.

I agree with what Rick has stated here. Another thing to consider is that mantids congregate at the top of any enclosure so using aquariums can be very awkward since your only opening is the top and it's usually a screen in one piece. When you lift the screen you're also usually lifting all the inhabitants and releasing any flying food.

finished.jpg

06v.jpg

I attempted to raise Sphodromantis viridis communally. Started with 16. By the time they were L4 they were down to 7. By L5 I was down to 3 so I gave in and separated. You can expect the same from any Sphodromantis. Very territorial and aggressive. But I would suggest viridis if you are looking into Sphodromantis. Slightly larger than sp. (Blue Flash) and way more friendly. I really like their personality. I have an ooth that should hatch soon so they will be available.

Communal species I've kept:

Phyllocrania paradoxa (Ghosts)

Gongylus gongylodes (Violins)

Pseudoharpax Virescens (Gambian Spotted-Eye Flower Mantis)

Oxyopsis gracilis (South American Green Mantis)

Idolomantis diabolica

Humbertiella ceylonica (Indian Bark Mantis)

Phyllovates chlorophaea (Texas Unicorn Mantis)

Heterochaeta sp.

Sinomantis denticulata (Glass Mantis)

Sibylla pretiosa

+1 wow thanks for the Info Now I know what kinda Mantis can be keep together . Now I can focus on these Ootheca Lol ......

I dont know if I'm ready for an entire ootheca haha. Are creos an easy starter species? Im guessing all the ones you listed are somewhat communal?

Do you know to what extent they'd be communal? Say I were to always keep food in there with them and made sure there were a lot of branches for the individual mantises to perch, would that enable me to keep them all in one cage until far later instars?
Yes all the ones I mention have been raised communally before (yen saw raised thesprotia together).

Latest posts